Thread: what is the lowest you see a VX going for?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question what is the lowest you see a VX going for?

just kinda funny. So, my wife has always wanted toyota supra. just for fun i look up of prices and am totally amazed. There are people paying upwards of 40K for a 95 w/ 120k miles. And they are all priced ridiculously high. I know these cars are sick fast and have tremedous potential but i just cant believe people would spend this much. One web site said it was supply and demand. After this i jsut started thinking about my VX. They are extremely rare too yet they dont hold on to value well, and i dont know why. I know cars are not investments, but i would love to read on the internet 8 years from now how some guy is amazed, just like i am now, at how people are paying 19k for a 00 VX with 150k miles. More importantly, i will be sick if in 2013 a VX can be picked up for $5000. oh well i guess we just need to have our VX put in the fast and the furious 3, to jack up the resale, like the supra

Arrow

Very, very few cars are any kind of good investment due to plain depreciation and market fickleness. As unique as the VX is, it isn't an SS 100 or Fiat 8V. It'll end up about as collectible as a Corolla FX16 or Mazda 323GTX. I picked my second VX up for all of $9000 in January of 2004 and it's in outstanding condition other than some minor rock chips touched up around the hood and a near invisible crease over the spare tire. So, like just about any Isuzu, it's an outstanding value for the money and you just happen to get the bonus of daily gawking from the general public.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

The Supra goes for so much money because the engine can be pretty easily tuned to 500+ hp. It's one of the top vehicles of choice for straight-line performance tuners. Of course, its value will probably drop significantly when the new Supra comes out in the next year or two. It is no collector's car. It's just a hot commodity right now.

The Z3 M Coupe is similar. They were $45k new. Prices dipped to below $20k a couple of years ago, for a well used '99. Today, that same car can't be had for under $25k, and an '01 or '02 with the s54 engine goes for upwards of $40k. When the Z4 M Coupe comes out, though, I'm pretty sure you'll see prices dip again.
    Steve

well it will always be a collector item for us and those like us and thats all that matters

and funny you should mention that about the Z3 M, because my mom got one last year for 21K.

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    It is funny how a mediocre car can attain desirable status afte it appears in a popular movie.

I remember the 3rd Gen Supra's debut -I recall hearing the words "heavy, expensive, slushbox, blind-spot, and heavy" quite often. How times and opinions have changed... Thank you Brian Whatshisname.
    The 3rd gen RX7 and to a lesser extent the 300Z were superior sports cars for the decade, but they didn't get the film time that the Poopra got.

Maybe there should be an axe-wielding gang of Ebony VX drivers in the next movie after all.

LOL! Good points Steve. There's a BMW I almost mortgaged a house to get, now hardly anyone even knows what it is yet it's progeny (the Z3 et al) got cranked out in droves.

The 1+G skidpad results had me drooling at the time...