Thread: Murano design

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Murano design

I was told that the main guy that designed the VX also was in on the design of the Nissan Murano. This car is sweet and it's got four doors.

Since I have decided to convert my VX to my RoboCop concept I am going to look for something a little bigger for my wife. We are into exotic hairless cats big time and she wants to start doing some serious cat shows. Just can't haul to many cats in the VX with the cages and all.
    Not going to sell mine but I like the looks of the Murano.

Any truth to this hear say? Nissan is sure building some nice cars.

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    I've heard that as well. There was a thread a little while ago about Nissan and 'getting it'. I think that it was mentioned there also.

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderChicken
    We are into exotic hairless cats big time...
    ...must...resist...joke...too funny...

Yup- as I was told the story goes that the lead designer of the VX left Isuzu and went to Nissan. The first project was the Murano. There are several similarities in both SUV's (I should know-I had both in my garage for a while). You will be hard pressed to find a better SUV ride than the Murano for the money. The Infinity FX has it beat but at a much greater $$$.

I'd still have the Nissan but the wife wanted/needed a truck. We bought the redesigned (265hp) Frontier. My only gripe with the Murano was the need to burn premium fuel-----it got pricey.
    ________
    Milf ebony
    Last edited by geshaw30 : 03/30/2011 at 07:22 PM

Funny I thought the same thing first time I saw one!
    My in-laws own a Murano and love it!

my dad has a murano, and its very nice.

I don't like the torque converter feel on it though. I guess I'm used to driving the VX though
    2000 Black VX 105k

It does seem strange being in a car that doesn't have a audible shifting of gears. Kinda like riding the subway
    ________
    Spanish Cooking
    Last edited by geshaw30 : 03/30/2011 at 07:22 PM

you might not know it, but the murano uses a dutch invention.
    A cvt gearbox.
    This means that the engine is revved till the max torque rpm., then it stayas that way all along the speed range.
    It was first introduced in DAF. in the 50's or 60's I believe.
    Brabham also used it in an F2 racing car and williams was going to put it in a F1 but since automatic gearchanges were banned from F1, the project was abandonned.
    VX : CLOSEST THING TO A CONCEPT CAR!

All True Richard....
    The Mureno does use the Van Doorne Variomatic (CVT) in their cars although very updated using a metal/plastic combination drive belt instead of the older reinforced double belt of the old DAF cars. I have three of the DAF cars and a DAF Pick-up here I am restoring. DAF was actually produced between 1958 through 1975 and then was sold to Volvo (who in the span of five years managed to eliminate the last Dutch car company to manufacture).
    The CVT is a great transmission and has gotten so much better over the last few years...even Saturn has one in their "Vue" models here as well as Honda, Toyota, Subaru...the list goes on
    It's the smooth shifting and the unlimited range of gears which makes the CVT so popular, it is only limited by the HP out put of the motor.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by thebear54
    It's the smooth shifting and the unlimited range of gears which makes the CVT so popular, it is only limited by the HP out put of the motor.

Really? I thought it was torque limited? I remember when Audi first started shipping a CVT on their cars, it was not available on the turbos since they had too much torque for it. I haven't checked for over a year, but I thought the v8 infiniti fx45 didn't have a cvt either while the v6 models all did.