Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Have you driven a Ford GT lately??

Have you driven a Ford GT lately??

I had the chance to drive one the other day. It was awesome!! 0-60 in 3.3 seconds.1/4 mile 11.6 @ 128 mph.top speed 205 est. I had it up to 130 mph.

1COOLVX

How in the world may I ask, did you manage to drive one of these gems?

I hear people are waiting in line and willing to pay almost double the asking price!!! ;eekr;

Either way, I'm sure it was a blast and I'm jealous of you for even getting the chance to sit in one....never mind DRIVE ONE!!!
    Live Free or DIE!

Vehix, one of our customers and also very good friend of the owners has a ford dealership. he decided to keep the one that they got in. one thing i forgot to do was get a picture of me behind the wheel. next time he stops by i will have to get one. shawn

I drove the Vette Z06 a few weeks ago and it's awesome too! Wanna race?
    Canadian VXer!

Tew, you actually liked the Z06? I drove one back in spring and I thought it handled like a bathtub full of water. Had a TON of get up and go, but it was an awful cornering machine. I think I need to stick to smaller rides is all. Like the STi or the EVO. No real get up and go, but cornering buggers. I simply cant have the best of both worlds, heh.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Nice! I've never driven a car that powerful before... would love to experience it!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod
    Tew, you actually liked the Z06? I drove one back in spring and I thought it handled like a bathtub full of water. Had a TON of get up and go, but it was an awful cornering machine. I think I need to stick to smaller rides is all. Like the STi or the EVO. No real get up and go, but cornering buggers. I simply cant have the best of both worlds, heh.
    Yeah I kinda agree. I actually like driving the Solstice better because you have to try to achieve the speed and fun. In the Z06 you spend all your time trying NOT to push on the gas (and hence kill yourself and everyone around you). Plus it's a bit nose heavy feeling even though it's supposedly 'balanced'. As much as it kills me to admit it, that Ford is pretty awesome!

I think the C6 Z06 is supposed to have superior handling and a few hundred less pounds of curb weight than the C5 Z06. MrTew, you have a Solstice? Tell us more about it!

I saw the newer GXT2 or whatever its called in vegas last weekend. super clean car.
    '99 Vehicross - Daily Driver
    '93 Wrangler - Tank in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by transio
    I think the C6 Z06 is supposed to have superior handling and a few hundred less pounds of curb weight than the C5 Z06.
    Superior handeling?

The Z06 uses LEAF SPRINGS!!! lol

I used to think the Z06 was a nice car until I saw this Top Gear video!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...q=bbc+top+gear

It's a shame that with all the hype of the Z06 that it didn't turn out so well for Detroit as compared to other manufucturers in its class!

The plastic interior, the flimsy fiberglass body panels, and LEAF SPRINGS for suspension just wouldn't cut it for me. :rollr2:

No doubt the Z06 is still a nice ride and would blow the doors off most anything in the states these days (street legal) but I would spend my money elsewhere if I actually had it!!!!

Watch this video and then see how YOU feel about the new Z06. To each his or her own I guess.

I love that show!
    They crack me up every time!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by VehiX
    It's a shame that with all the hype of the Z06 that it didn't turn out so well for Detroit as compared to other manufucturers in its class!
    Actually that videois of the C6 not a Z06

the Z06 has independent rear suspension.if i had the dough i would own one. shawn

Quote Originally Posted by volume311
    Actually that videois of the C6 not a Z06
    DOH! :homer:

Guess I'm not all up to date on the vette seen!

Thanks for the correction volume311

I just saw that video a few minutes before reading this post and figured I'd chime in. Sorry about that

VehiX,

Yeah, that's just a base C6. The Z06 is actually THE "highest-tech and best performance" per dollar of car ever made (in my opinion, soon to be general public opinion I believe). At $65,000 base cost, it will demolish anything short of $150k (Ford GT, which only barely takes it). Also, the C6R is killing its "competition" in racing events. That includes the Aston Martin DBR9, and Maserati MC12.

Also, trust me, the base C6 is not a bad car at all. The Top Gear guys pick on it because it's American, but that's mostly just in jest. I mean, look at the scene of him breaking his back driving over a peanut. If you've seen a (British) Lotus Elise in person, the C6 Vette's "cheap plastics and fiberglass" seem like true luxury in comparison. Trust me on that.

PS - The "leaf springs" they make fun of aren't old-school technology by any means.

From an article about the vette: "The completely revised suspension, still based on a high-tech composite transverse leaf spring at the rear, may be adjusted via the optional Magnetic Selective Ride Control... It reads the road surface and adjusts itself accordingly by means of dampers that employ magneto-rheological fluid rather than mechanical valves."

Trust me, it's not "low tech" by any sense of the word. Have a look for yourself: