Thread: 30,000 mile service - What's a VehiCross?

30,000 mile service - What's a VehiCross?

I figured I was in trouble when I spoke to the Martin service rep on the west side of LA and he didn't know what a VehiCross was. So I take in a list of things I want done and the computer doesn't have a pricing list. Here's what was on my list:

Change front and rear axle oil
    change transfer case oil
    repack front wheel bearings
    check TOD system fluid
    check disk breaks
    lube accelerator linkage, body and chassis, rear propeller shaft
    check engine drive belt

Now I get the call with the breakdown.

Repack the front wheel bearings -- $245.80.
    So I call St Charles to see what they charge -- $150

Now I get a second call -- $326 to change the transfer case oil and the differential (I guess that's the axle oil)

My inclination is to take the car somewhere else. Is this stuff something a regular mechanic could do without screwing it up? What would you do?

Thanks.

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    It may be a drive for you but the mechanic and service rep are well worth it:

Sierra Autos in Monrovia

Isuzu service rep: Dino
    Mechanic: Mike

Ask for Dino. He is a great guy.
    Lots of VX's are serviced there. Many are members here.
    (626) 932-5675
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

IIRC, I paid in the range of $350-400 for the full 30k service.
    Steve

I agree with Anita....find a Dealer who knows the VX
    John

Arrow

The transfer case and both differentials are probably the easiest things to do yourself with the VX. Save yourself some bucks and tackle that one at least.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Quote Originally Posted by thebear54
    I agree with Anita....find a Dealer who knows the VX
    John
    Such a place exists?

Just kidding, kinda .... sorta.....but not really!
    Live Free or DIE!

The Isuzu owners in the area where I live are pretty fortunate. A dealer that has a mechanic who has worked on Isuzu's for years including lots of VX's. If you have ever heard me before on the subject, you know I cant say enough good things about them. Many here on the forum have phoned them from other parts of the country for help in troubleshooting problems.

They get a big basket of goodies every christmas from me as a thanks for the superb care they give my VX.

Quote Originally Posted by Anita
    It may be a drive for you but the mechanic and service rep are well worth it:

Sierra Autos in Monrovia

Isuzu service rep: Dino
    Mechanic: Mike

Ask for Dino. He is a great guy.
    Lots of VX's are serviced there. Many are members here.
    (626) 932-5675

Thanks for the info. I did talk to Dino. Apparently they only do a full 30,000 mile service for $500. It includes some things I've already done (like oil change and filter) but I'm of a mind to have them do the entire thing just to be sure the rest is done properly.

So now I have to figure out how to get the VX from Santa Monica to Monrovia and be there by 8AM.

What we do for our children.

Let me know when you go.. perhaps I can come out and have a cup of coffee wit ya in their cafe.

Sounds good.

Ya, dont feel like you MUST take it to a dealer for this service. I have NEVER been to a dealer except to get a new antenna and to have my computer reset when my VX was hit by lightning. Other than that, it always goes to a speedshop of my choosing.

Be picky and let them know that you are the best customer they will ever have though. When these guys do a great job on my car, I tip the mechanic. I have never been given poor service. My VX is lucky.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod
    Ya, dont feel like you MUST take it to a dealer for this service. I have NEVER been to a dealer except to get a new antenna and to have my computer reset when my VX was hit by lightning. Other than that, it always goes to a speedshop of my choosing.

Be picky and let them know that you are the best customer they will ever have though. When these guys do a great job on my car, I tip the mechanic. I have never been given poor service. My VX is lucky.

I was hoping someone had discovered such a place/mechanic here on the west side of LA. But apparently they're a rare breed.

Shop around. Call shops, ask if they even know what a VX is. I know the shop I go to now, when I first pulled in just to question the guys, a mechanic came outside. Before I even got out of the VX he was already at my door and said, "I don't see many VehiCROSSes around. Are you the original owner?" That made me feel good that he at least knew what it was. My VX has been a patient of their s ever since. They never steared me wrong.

I had stated in a thread a while back that I ysed to take it to a speed "specialty" shop. I paid a bit more for work, but all these guys worked on were drag machines. Kinda cool going to the shop to pick her up and seeing her sitting in a bay next to an 8 second piece of hardware.

Ya, definately, shop around. Ask questions. Dig deep. They are out there. I gave up on dealers a long time ago with my first VX (may she rest in peace).

I took Anita's advice and took the VX to Sierra Auto for its 30,000 mile service. It only took me about an hour to get there so it wasn't the time suck I expected. Dino was great and the car was done in about three hours.
    The entire thing, with the exception of repacking the front wheel bearings, which Dino said didn't need to be done until I had to do the breaks, was just under $500.

The best thing though was that I never felt I was being hustled like I do whenever I go to Martin Isuzu for service. The first time I took the Rodeo there they wanted to change my platinum plugs at 15,000 miles. When I brought to his attention that the manual says 100,000 he claimed not to have known they were platinum. Maybe he thought they were wood. I don't know.

Anyway, thanks Anita.

Run Screaming from Martin

I used to be down on the West Side, and I had nothing but horrible experiences with Martin (Cadillac). In fact, I make it a point to suggest that no Isuzu's go anywhere near that dealership.

I did take Anita's suggestion, and the technician's there were excellent. Well worth the drive.

I'm up in Northern Cali now, and just came up on my $60k service. I've found two possible mechanics who are just solid local guys who will work on anything, but there are no good Isuzu mechanics up here that i've heard of. I'm actually playing with the idea of driving all the way to SoCal just to get my 60k done at Sierra. (I also need the windows fixed, and I know those guys have done them before, know the routine.)