Thread: The Resistor Nemesis

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Resistor Nemesis

Please see new post for resistor fix.

Hey, love the VX, but if you're one of the ones that has been bitten by the resistor bug, you want to smash your head into a bare concrete wall. It's happened now during the dead of summer and now the worse NJ cold we've had.

1. This is an obvious design defect. No car should have this happen. I've had completely rusted heater blowers on MANY cars, taken them out, cleaned them and then got them to work without electronics problems. The fact that this resistor blows with only the slightest gum on the blower is just not right. If there are other electronics problems I don't buy that either. Excuse me I'm sure you can read my frustration but this is a serious component of any car. Imagine being in the midst of nowhere when it's cold. We've had people actually freeze in cars here on our NJ Rt 80!

2. Maybe some workaround that guarantees the blower can work on high is a good backup....I could possibly live with that till a real fix is invented. Otherwise, you really have to consider driving around with an extra resistor...and this is smart anyway because they're not readily available.

3. Still...the ideal solution is to FIX the design defect. Any suggestions? I'm going to figure something out but really would appreciate comments. There should be a readily available switch from some other car that can be retrofitted to the VX somehow.

4. Is Tone's "rebuild" a fundamentally better resistor? Any success stories on that? I've written to Tone and hope he is still rebuilding resistors, however the hell he does that this is some trick.

any comments appreciated
    Last edited by -wadestock- : 12/30/2005 at 11:34 AM Reason: See FIX - heater fan doesn't work or on high only