Thread: Rancho 9000 shock question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rancho 9000 shock question

Ok this might be a dumb question but I'm not sure an am installing them now. I just got a set of the Rancho 9000 shocks and all the shock I've ever installed have a gas charge in them. Like the Original KYB. These Rancho don't have any gas return(extension). When you adjust the settings (1-9) it does get harder to extend and compress them. I figure all four can't be bad so I guess that's the way they are? I need help The original rear shock had no return pressure so I figure OK but when I got to the other side it did have it.

Is my hunch right these are messed up or am I just old school?
    Help I'm in the middle of doing this now.

Andy
    Andy C
    01 Firefox VX
    CT

The KYBs have a remote reservoir, but the Ranchos have a reservoir too... it's just an integral part of the shock body. Because they're adjustable shocks, changing the setting should make them easier or more difficult to compress. I'm not sure, but if there's no noticeable difference, it may be that they need to actuate a few times before they "settle in" at the new setting. I'd say try putting them on your VX and if they don't seem to work then exchange them.
    Steve

shocks

Hey Steve,
    Ok I know that, but what has me stumped is that they do not extend out like a normal shock would. The first (stock)KYB didn't extend - I figure that it was bad but the other side did. So basically I can compress it but it retuns out to full extension - like all the shocks I've installed in the past. But these Rancho 9000 do not extend out with gas pressure. So it this right ? or is the set of Rancho's bad?

I see what you mean now! Well, I've never seen a set of (good) shocks that don't self-extend, but theoretically that shouldn't be required for the shock to do it's job, right? I mean, mechanically it's just supposed to be a damper, which absorbs some of the energy from compression or extension. The springs are supposed to handle the job of suspension return from compression. Why not try them out and see what they do?

Gas shocks extending when unloaded is a good thing, as the VX hits a bump and becomes unloaded, it helps the tires maintain contact = traction = control.
    As I have said before, race cars have VERY STIFF shocks.
    cars with soft shocks feel more comfortable as they float over bumps at the cost of poorer handling and control.

Well after trying to get ahold of someone I knew that would know -- it was just to late everyone's sleeping. I decided why not. It would have been a quick and easy job if I just did it. O-Well while I had it on the lift I greased the drive shaft and lubed all the suspension. I took it out for a quick ride and it seems fine. I have them set to 9. It was just weird I know steering dampners operate like that but I though all shocks were pressurized out. I guess you learn something new everyday

Well it's sleep time
    Thanks Guys.

Andy

PS 3 of the originals were bad only one rear was good. I'm going to hold on to them and maybe get them rebuilt someday
    Last edited by AndyC : 12/19/2005 at 09:46 PM Reason: forgot something