Thread: Question for mechanics help!!

Question for mechanics help!!

My wifes car (90 Honda accord) belts were squeking so I put some belt dressing on them. The dressing took the squeeks out till I started the car later then knock knock knock ..ect.... shut it off real quick thinking the belts broke.. they just came loose because the crankshaft pulley fell off...? The rubber like broke away from the pulley? Is this a major fix or do I need to just unbolt and put another back on...? Sideway engine won't be easy to get to it.
    Ed

Was the belt still intact, or was it broken?

If it was still intact, then it is as you say - the pulley fell off. The nut holding it on was probably not torqued down enough and the vibration of the motor gradually loosened it until it wobbled off. If this is the case, replace the pulley, torque it down to spec, put the belt back on, and you're up and running!
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Belts are intact..

The large pulley seemed like it broke away on the outside leaving some rubber behind. I am wondering what would make that happen hopefully not a lock up of any sort. The motor did start chirping this week like a bird so I was thinking waterpump? I will look into now this morning and maybe turn the motor over once I get the broken pulley out of the way.

Would it be smart to replace the pulley with billit style pulleys now that it's off or original parts..?

Arrow

Sounds like you may have a split pulley that's actually in two pieces. This is sometimes done to facilitate installation of particularly tight belt installations or to allow the pulley's diameter to be adjusted for maintaining tension, although that's rare on passenger vehicles.

Best bet is to get a Gatorback belt (AutoZone) for your vehicle as you can't be too sure on a serpentine, especially one that may have been damaged, and put it all back like original. Get a Haynes book for your car and find out the details on the pulley so you can be sure it's put back with the proper torque on the fasteners. Be sure to inspect any bolt threads as they may have been damaged with the pulley wallowing around on them, which will mean either chasing with a die or replacement.

This should be a simple repair overall and sounds like a matter of the pulley fastener(s) coming loose. You may be able to gain easier access from below by removing the lower body pan which is typically held on by several 10mm bolts. It's been a long time since I worked on a Honda, but can source info from a friends shop if you need. Get the Haynes book though, it'll get you where you need to be.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Thanks Joe, your right on!

The pulley is split and I managed to take off that shroud underneath. I now have access to the pulley and nut.. my problem now is how do you hold the crankshaft from turning while I try to losen the nut..? I am going to replace the belts while i'm in there now too.

You need a chain wrench to hold the pulley. You can get one at Sears.

Nate

Block the crankshaft by putting it in gear and applying the handbrake!
    VX : CLOSEST THING TO A CONCEPT CAR!

It's a automatic...?

I tried the chain wrench today but the broken pulley is in the way to get it around.

Back at it in the AM... going to get the impact wrench on it!

Put a socket on the bolt, wedge the wrench against the frame and have someone bump the engine over and it will break it loose. Normal thread. Remove fuel pump fuse to make sure it does not accidentally start.

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    Put a socket on the bolt, wedge the wrench against the frame and have someone bump the engine over and it will break it loose. Normal thread. Remove fuel pump fuse to make sure it does not accidentally start.
    Sanity Check please.

Arrow

Agreed. That's a great way to damage yourself and/or the car. And you'd remove the plugs in addition to the fuel pump fuse as there is residual fuel pressure for quick starting (some cars have accumulators) that would allow the car to run briefly before the fuel pressure fell, allowing the attached wrench to become a dangerous and destructive item.

Edward, if the impact wrench doesn't work for you see if you can get the chain wrench around the pulley itself. Chain wrenches come in different sizes, so you may want to pick up a larger one if yours is too small. Handy tool to have!

do not use the starter on a honda the engine turns to the left not the right you will going the wrong way honda crank bolts are very tight they make a tool to hold the pulley (the hex inside the pulley ) so you can break it lose but the starter trick dose work on most car

Thanks Guys! Got er done..

The impact wrench worked with full air pressure. I was going to reinstall with unordadox pulleys but I ended up at the dealership and put in the stock crank pulley. (my wife just wanted her car back)

Thanks for the tips!