Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fuel efficiency question

fuel efficiency question

i really liked the vx since it first came out on the us market, and now i finally have the financial means to get one... however, in reading up on the vehicle, it struck me that the vx is pretty hard on the gas! i have a 30 miles drive to work, and it seems like the vx will not be the best vehicle to be a daily driver!? what type of gas does the vx run on? is the vx comparable in fuel efficiency to other suvs? how are vx owners dealing with the fuel efficiency issue?

Manual states regular fuel - 87 octane number. Mileage WILL vary depending on how heavy is your foot and your driving preferences. SUVs run through fuel when driver accelerates sharply...just like a sport car. 30 miles on a highway and 30 miles in a city will make a difference

thanks...
    i have a 30 miles commute on a rural highway with twisty roads....
    even on empty roads, it is very rare that i will drive 10 over posted limits
    how do these facts change the equation??

Somebody had a calculation stating 20-22mpg at 55mph speed that was proven in real driving. Cruise controls helps naturally. Twisted roads though worsen the situation so, I guess, 16-18mpg depending in AC use/winds/etc...I am sure others can give more detailed answers...

Thumbs up

Only had mine for a week, and had the same concern, especially since ours is supercharged....Filled it on the way home just this morning; 224 miles 13.42 gallons. About 16.5mpg. Very little highway, but lots of 45 and 50 mph rural twisty roads, as I must follow a shoreline to get the boy back and forth to school, practices etc. Sure I'm a bit of a lead foot too since its new to me, and my son is always egging me on. I'd guess one could add one or two mpg to the above without the forced intake. All in all I'd say thats pretty good. Could probably get a few again better with some nondescript SUV but choose not to. Good Luck!

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    BigVXfan, count on 2 gallons each way as an all-year average, and you'll be close enough. Your best mileage will be come when you're running in the 50 mph range, which is what you will probably be doing, judging from your description of the roads.

averaged just a tick better than 21 this last tank---best yet. This is flat Fla., and most is done at 50 or so on rural roads, with Mobil one lubes everywhere,and K&N filters,etc. etc. . Still 21 overall ain't bad. Hitting it's groove now (20000 miles) I guess. I was getting like 13 at first. That was a little distressing, considering what I could be driving in that milage range

would you attribute improved fuel efficiency to Mobil 1 oil and different air filters?

My mileage sucks...

I seem to get around 13 all the time - in town, and traveling down the highway with cruise control in a headwind (it's Wyoming)! It's driving me crazy and broke. I have drastically reduced the lead portions in my foot because of it, so it looks like this tank might give me 15 mpg if I'm lucky. The reason I didn't buy a Sierra Denali with 4-wheel steering is because I was worried about the fuel consumption - they get more like 18 come to find out! That is from a 6.0 V8!!! What gives? I should be getting 18 mpg from a 3.5 V6 with 40,000 miles, easy! Anybody out there have suggestions on how to improve my mileage or what problems to check for that could cause such horrible "efficiency"???

I drive 3 miles each way and I average about 10-12 in city driving mode... 13-15 when Im on the highway. I have bigger tires and lift. I like to drive fast but have slowed down due to &#@*! cops!

I drive 30 miles one way every day on rural-to-highway roadways (60 miles daily) and my results vary heavily. Take into consideration traffic, how heavy your foot is, and mods.

I span from 250-340 miles on a full tank and gas up once a week generally. IMO, I dont think the VX is the best commuter, so I am looking for as second car to hold that position. The VX will be a perfect weekend driver for me.
    Last edited by WormGod : 01/05/2006 at 08:14 AM
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

The most signifigant mileage increase i noticed was running Amsoil synthetic lube in the differentials. AWD seems to get a better response from less driveline resistance. The Trooper got the same treatment, and didnt see the increase. It can run 2wd rear only unlike the VX.

Gas Mileage...

We have driven from Colorado to IL and back, and to NJ, NY, MD and back. Best is 16, worst is 13. We have a gnarley rack on top that I am sure does not help. We have tried driving faster, slower, cruise, no crusie, and have not seen much change. We just broke 40K on the '00.
    Mudeater34
    Colorado Beach Patrol

Chopper, how on earth you get such good mpg? I've never heard such good numbers, you are lucky!!

i guess sea level air density trumps the other factors except lead foot!