Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Key fob OPTION button?

Key fob OPTION button?

I was thinking this morning, since it was supposed to get down to 26º last night... I need remote start on the VX to get'r warmed up before I go outside. Anyone know if the "option" on the keyfob could be used to trigger a remote start? If not, what is this for? What kind of options is this for from the factory/dealer? Anyway, I hope someone has a bright idea because I think I need something like that. Anywho... I'll TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

I don't know about remote start with the existing key fob. The range is pretty short, you'd probably have to walk outside to get it to work. A good shop can install remote start for you pretty easily. I think the only problem has been getting an alarm bypass module.
    Stick with what works.

I can lock/unlock my VX from my sons bedroom which is right above where I park, so that should be fine. As for range, I wonder if there is a way to extend it a little bit. I know that remote starts have their own antenna... I wonder if its possible to add an antenna to the stock alarm. As for your comment on alarm bypass module, I wonder if there is anything like that in my VX. I noticed an LED mounted in one of the plugs for a button hole on my dash... I wonder if it has had an aftermarket alarm. Hmmm... I wonder.

Anyway... any other input?

Coach... aka Randy!

Previous owner of:1999 White Vehicross Ironman 1970

Remote Start

I just went and had a whole new alarm system installed along with the remote start. It has the pager system so if someone or something sets off the alarm my remote starts to vibrate and a car shows up on the little screen with a hammer beat-n it...Its a cool system I however do still have a vacant button on it. I have done checked into either have that set to role the windows up or down or have-n it set to unlock the back door...Would probably get more use out of the back door thing...Nice system by Crimestopper, cost me about $500.00 and will cost around another $200.00 to get the other option installed?? Kinda price-E!!! Remote start is the best thing invented yet!!

The extra button on our remotes is for a garage opener option. The alarm manual I believe has an explanation as to how to program it provided you garage door opener is compatible. SO far no one to my knowledge has been able to use it for anything else. The light on your dash that you speak of is part of the factory alarm system. It does flash when the VX is armed using the factory system.
    3C FORMERLY VX #1876
    www.triple-cs.com

Side track... but opening my back door with the key doesn't set off the alarm. Is this typical? Also if I add a second dome light switched off the rear door will the change in current draw be sufficent trip the alarm?

JAFO, the alarm doesn't go off if you open the back door, just the driver and passenger doors.

Adding a second light is great but the addition of a simple pin switch to the back door turns on the stock overhead light when the door is opened. It also allows the alarm to monitor the rear door with no ill effects. My rear door popper kit contains a pin switch for that very reason and has instructions (on my web page) explaining how to connect it.
    Last edited by Tone : 04/09/2003 at 06:34 PM

Which is anothe reason to go with an aftermarket alarm + remote start rather than try to modify the current one.

You still have to add a pin switch to tie the rear door to ANY alarm and it is easy to do. But with an aftermarket alarm, you can open the rear door by remote which is great.

To increase the range of the OEM remote, you can take the antenna wire from along the drives door sill and re-route it up the drivers a pillar...
    Scott / moncha.com

Originally posted by Moncha
    To increase the range of the OEM remote, you can take the antenna wire from along the drives door sill and re-route it up the drivers a pillar...
    Scott-
    Thanks for the info. I will be doing this ASAP.

WyrreJ-
    My hope to modify the stock alarm to trigger a remote start system will probably be simple in comparison to what the folks I know over on the F-body (Camaro/Firebird) boards do. They bypass their progressive unlock (one push of key fob for drivers door only, second push for all doors) so that their system unlocks ALL doors with one push and the second push does something like roll down windows or turn on the stereo system.

I guess my curiosity comes with the key fob saying "option" as opposed to it saying "garage" or something like that. Anywho... I think I wanna figure this out even though a decent aftermarket alarm will most likely protect my VX better than the stocker.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Is that the white wire? I noticed a wire that was lying there under the door sill, not connected to anything with an open end. I thought it was cut somehow.
    RichD
    ------------------------------------------------
    ...because vinyl just sounds better!

For the one other person in the world besides me who had never heard the word fob before. I think 2b is the one that applies.

fob
    n.
    1. A small pocket at the front waistline of a man's trousers or in the front of a vest, used especially to hold a watch.
    a. A short chain or ribbon attached to a pocket watch and worn hanging in front of the vest or waist.
    b. An ornament or seal attached to such a chain or ribbon.

Really?! Cool. I hate the fact that I almost have to stand in front of the car to use the alarm. I want to do this immediately... Wait, everybody duck!!!!!

DUMB QUESTION COMING!!!

What are the "door sills"? Is that the bottom of the driver's side door?

Doh! :homer:
    Chet - CBA_VX