Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Re-painting entire VX

Re-painting entire VX

Hi all!

Purely hypothetical question...just out of curiosity...how much would it be to paint VX into a different colour? Paint both the vehicle and plastic moldings to have a uni-colour. I saw some awesome pearl-blueish paint on a VX in Las Vegas but that's more of an exception. We presume it will be high quality job. Does title have to be changed as well? Finally, how much time would it take? Would be interesting to hear your opinion...

Thanks!

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    First off, don't you DARE paint that Kaiser!

There are a few members who have painted their cars, and a few more who have painted their cladding only.
    I'd say figure on $3-4k for a good job. I'd think that it would be less, simply because the VX's trim is fairly easy to remove, but what do I know.

I would truely be saddened if you painted that vx. Not o mention I think you would destroy the value of that particular vx.

just my 2cents

It wasn't this VX was it?

The blueish VX you saw didn't happen to be this one did it?

Good job and Great job differ greatly. Good job, you are looking at up to $5k. Great job, you are more in the ballpark of about $12k. Too many things involved to list, just remember, any monkey can spray a car with foodcoloring. You want better than a monkey and foodcoloring, it will cost you.

And there is no Base Price for these things. EVERY shop in the world will price you differently. "All-overs" are not very popular in regular paint shops, so you will want to find a private painter or a specialty shop, like a customization place. I worked for one many years ago as a painter and I will tell ya, the most expensive job I ever did was a pearl black cherry on a Viper. It cost that guy almost $20k for the complete paint job. I earned every penny and he got an incredible looking, long lasting job.

You spend $2k on a paint job, you are just saving money so that you can spend another $2k every year going back to get peeling, flaking, crowsfeet, fading, fisheyes, and overspray fixed.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by bobmumgaard
    The blueish VX you saw didn't happen to be this one did it?
    VERY important.... that VX was stolen.
    Steve

I am betting the VX you saw in Vegas was Ricksters...??

yep...that's the one...with a very interesting colour combination and, no, I will never re-paint Kaiser I was merely wondering if 2-door makes any $$$ difference versus 4-door...I guess not, it's equally expensive.

Like the man said, there is a huge spread on prices when it comes to paint. be largly disassembled. ie. glass out, all rubber moldings,door handles, trim moldings marker lights head lights wheel well liners tail lights badges wings bumpers etc. etc. if it's a truck, the bed comes off and apart. fenders and doors off. There is more but you get the idea that these things are not happening cheaply, and we've yet to sand, prep, or paint a single thing. After painting the paint is wet sanded, cut, then buffed to Maser perfection. This is a good reshoot in a nutshell.Expect to be handed a bill for around 4 large (if we used PPG or Sherwin Williams) Different paints can multiply that 4000 dollar figure several times over. A bare metal respray is more. Anyone starts taping anything off on your vehicle (like the Maco ad) take your car and run! Save the scratch an' squirt for the Cutlass Ciera. I do this every day all day... any paint questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Wayne-Flagler Collision

Chopper, where is your shop located? You sound like a good guy to know if I ever need bodywork!

Just a bit north of you. Off route 1 in Palm Coast, Flagler county. Bout 30 miles north of Daytona Beach.

Ooh. What's your phone number and address?

3 Marketplace Ct. Palm Coast Fl. 386-446-0224 Zip-32137

Oh damn, Daytona Beach! For some reason, I read Deerfield Beach LOL.

Chopper, whats the "industry shop standard" brand now? When I was painting years back, Glasurit was the way to go. Easy to work/mix with and just laid down very beautifully. Our shop also dealt quite a bit with House of Kolor, but that was only ever by customer request (overrated in my opinion).

Just curious cause when I had the front end fixed on my VX a couple years ago, the finish was excellent. Thought the guys did a great job. Didnt bother to ask what they use though. However, it has only been a couple of years and already its fading back and chipping VERY easily. Gonna have to get it redone. Makes me wish I had a downdraft in my home garage.