Thread: Re-painting entire VX

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just a bit north of you. Off route 1 in Palm Coast, Flagler county. Bout 30 miles north of Daytona Beach.

Ooh. What's your phone number and address?
    Steve

3 Marketplace Ct. Palm Coast Fl. 386-446-0224 Zip-32137

Oh damn, Daytona Beach! For some reason, I read Deerfield Beach LOL.

Chopper, whats the "industry shop standard" brand now? When I was painting years back, Glasurit was the way to go. Easy to work/mix with and just laid down very beautifully. Our shop also dealt quite a bit with House of Kolor, but that was only ever by customer request (overrated in my opinion).

Just curious cause when I had the front end fixed on my VX a couple years ago, the finish was excellent. Thought the guys did a great job. Didnt bother to ask what they use though. However, it has only been a couple of years and already its fading back and chipping VERY easily. Gonna have to get it redone. Makes me wish I had a downdraft in my home garage.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Sorry that took so long- Just enjoyed a long weekend with my son. We use Sherwin Williams (40% of domestic products are factory S&W) It is purely a numbers deal with us. Trying for good matches, with the least hassle, for the most vehicles, for the best price and longevity(we guarantee all work for the life of the vehicle so it's gotta last). PPG is the easiest system,for me, but a bit pricey(and their clear stinks (IMO)) Dupont is ok- real nice Tri-Stage stuff clear is good (I got a 12 gal. case of ol' 9600 clear stashed for when I do my own stuff, you shooters know what that is) but is a bit expensive, fragile,and their product support sucks-we threw them out---- These choices constitute probably 75 or 80% of the professional shops out there. You will have to make the guess.

I wasn't trying to be cryptic or anything. 9600 is the clearest, toughest, glossiest, slickest (pure whale poo) bestest clear ever created. A series of products really. Also,sadly, one of the deadliest,most dangerous products a painter could work with. The VOC crap is off the chart so i'm sure mishandling is just spiffy for frogs and stuff too. It's been E.P.A. banned for a while now. It can be done safely, just gotta make EVERYTHING friggin' moron proof in this world. So now it's gone.