Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Re-painting entire VX

Sorry that took so long- Just enjoyed a long weekend with my son. We use Sherwin Williams (40% of domestic products are factory S&W) It is purely a numbers deal with us. Trying for good matches, with the least hassle, for the most vehicles, for the best price and longevity(we guarantee all work for the life of the vehicle so it's gotta last). PPG is the easiest system,for me, but a bit pricey(and their clear stinks (IMO)) Dupont is ok- real nice Tri-Stage stuff clear is good (I got a 12 gal. case of ol' 9600 clear stashed for when I do my own stuff, you shooters know what that is) but is a bit expensive, fragile,and their product support sucks-we threw them out---- These choices constitute probably 75 or 80% of the professional shops out there. You will have to make the guess.

I wasn't trying to be cryptic or anything. 9600 is the clearest, toughest, glossiest, slickest (pure whale poo) bestest clear ever created. A series of products really. Also,sadly, one of the deadliest,most dangerous products a painter could work with. The VOC crap is off the chart so i'm sure mishandling is just spiffy for frogs and stuff too. It's been E.P.A. banned for a while now. It can be done safely, just gotta make EVERYTHING friggin' moron proof in this world. So now it's gone.

I hear ya. I recall OSHA getting heavier and heavier with their bullying and shop prying just before I exited the industry, but it was also about time that they did their job. I worked in to many shops where it was like pulling teeth trying to get new booth filters or charcoal replacements for masks. If it means making more paint products fool-proof to keep shops safer and healthier, I am all for it. Cause God knows, I have worked at some places with painters who are absolutely oblivious and careless with the work they are doing.

I kept about 80% of my painting gear when I "retired". Did a lot of paint work on the side for a few more years. ALL for hobby and fun. Did most of my best work on my own time. Sadly, I havent touched it in a while and my buddy who lived around the corner from me moved away, who had a damned downdraft system in his (get this....) backyard garage. When he moved, he had it dismantled and took it with him, heh. Sure wish I could afford the luxury to continue my past hobbies.

My VX will be Chevy Orange one day. I dont know why.... it just will.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I've had a notion for a while now, to do a real deep, pearly, "Black Magick" type on 0177. The glass dude won't guarantee my glass, and I'd have to be pretty sure of myself to pull the Back and two sidelights. Black Magick is a VW color on the last run of the R32 last year. ANY ideas about the replacement cost on that lovely backlight or the two side windows? Pricey I'd guess.

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    IF you bust one, you could always replace it with a CF panel -it's not like they really provide any visibility.

True enough. I tinted the two side windows(on either side) Black. Useless anyway.