Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tail Light Guards

Quote Originally Posted by JULIAN911
    [Doug,

Sorry for the late reply. I I will snap some pics and you will know exactly what I'm talking about.

Julian
    Your PM account is full and I don't have your email address....

Sounds good, everyone is running around with the holidays.

I really appreciate the pics. Always thought the VX needed taillight guards. I have tube everywhere else, and it just looks strange.

Any closeups of mounting areas, and inside the door, etc., would really help in trying to duplicate your creation.

Anyway, once again, really appreciate the effort on your part.
    -Wekilled
    douglaswekell(at)gmail.com

Julian911:

Public thanks for emailing the photos today!
    I pasted them into Powerpoint for a future how-to sheet with the pics. Just need to hunt down the guards now. -Yet another ongoing project......

Tail Light Guards

Julian911: finally got around to taking my Amigo tail light guards over to the local weld shop and get them to add pieces of stock to them in three places. I then (as you aptly described-PAINFULLY) bent them to fit in-between the edges of the door, and under the cladding bolt in the front. Still need to tweak a little. I would never do this for someone else. A total PITA.

For me they really compliment the wraparound merc guard on my front and the Rage motorsports cargo rack on the roof. I know the "tube-heavy" look isn't for everyone, but it is the overall look I am going for with my VX. After I return from deployment I want to get some black rims and aggressive tires, and a satin paint job. I am hoping prior to leaving I can Gatorback the cladding. We'll see if that pans out.

I will add photos when I can take em in the light.
    Last edited by wekilled : 01/09/2012 at 01:56 PM Reason: Added photos

Here are the pics:

Still need to do a little tweaking when I have more time, but the tailgate opens fine, just want them to be perfect. Anyway, thanks Julian911 for the idea.
    Last edited by wekilled : 01/09/2012 at 02:02 PM

Quote Originally Posted by wekilled View Post
    Still need to do a little tweaking when I have more time, but the tailgate opens fine, just want them to be perfect. Anyway, thanks Julian911 for the idea.
    Looks great

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Nice work. I like them but IMO they could be a little closer to the tail lights... and they would be absolutely perfect if you could round the inner sharp edges.

Thanks, gotta hand it to Julian for the concept. I agree on the sharp edges, but don't have a bender. I ended up doing all the bending of the brackets with C clamps, a hammer, and the edge of the sidewalk.

I could probably do better if I had professional tools or even a table mounted vise-then again, I'd probably spend way too much time working on the VX if I did.

As far as distance, I kept em a little farther from the vehicle, to match the big guard on my front--I guess that was matter of preference - and function when offroading.
    Last edited by wekilled : 01/09/2012 at 04:35 PM

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Thats true, they do match the front grill guard well. Impressive sidewalk fabrication

I MUST have some of these! Always drooled over Julian's pics!
    Please - anybody - who can I hire to make me some? Please boyz! Jon? WelderGuy?
    I can track down the Amigo guards.
    Can get my shop to do the final tweaking for fit.
    anybody?...anybody??
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Welder Guy is busy with Safari Bar brackets, Kat. Or at least I'm hoping he is.

Those guards do look pretty good though!
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    Welder Guy is busy with Safari Bar brackets, Kat. Or at least I'm hoping he is.

Those guards do look pretty good though!
    yeah,....maybe someone else wants to give it a go!

Wow. Those guards are pricey:

http://www.ultimatetruck.com/product...45&model=20624

Wonder if these would work (or are even worth messing with since they are plastic):

http://www.autoanything.com/grille-g...0A1872584.aspx

BTW, Welder Guy has 1 set of push bar brackets cut-n-bent. Hopefully he'll have the hitch ready for me to fit check on Saturday & I'll pick them both up at the same time (since we don't work together anymore, it takes an hour each way to his shop).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Wow. Those guards are pricey:

http://www.ultimatetruck.com/product...45&model=20624

Wonder if these would work (or are even worth messing with since they are plastic):

http://www.autoanything.com/grille-g...0A1872584.aspx

I've been looking over all the choices for rear guards...plastic and metal....
    these plastic ones looked a little beefier, just don't know how to attach them....double stick tape???
    http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...s+%26+Lighting

KAT,

Those are for a Rodeo. I thought the ones used so far have been for an Amigo. Is there a difference?

For $45 I guess I could give it a shot to see how well they fit ... but I'd rather the metal tubes instead. On the other hand, I'm cheap, so ...

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    KAT,

Those are for a Rodeo. I thought the ones used so far have been for an Amigo. Is there a difference?

For $45 I guess I could give it a shot to see how well they fit ... but I'd rather the metal tubes instead. On the other hand, I'm cheap, so ...
    Julian said his were from a Rodeo, wekilled used AMigo. I pm'd Doug yesterday to get some more details, and he thinks they're the same so either can be used....I'm also thinking of ordering the plastic ones and just seeing how they look...although the high gloss isn't attractive...but wecould at least test fit them and return if I don't like them.