Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Tail Light Guards

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    We are both right -
    I love it when that happens . I've just been researching the Australian snorkel market & had to learn all the different Isuzu names.

Seems like the new Rodeo would be a good fit for us 'Mericans with our pick ups. Sadly we're denied.

STRIKE ONE.....
    Thought I'd try to easiest route with these plastic stick on guards so Jon didn't have to get all mixed up in metal and welding......

These VTech Tuff plastic ones have a 90 degree angle to them, but our lens are more like 110-120 degrees, so you can see the big space in between. I put a screwdriver in between to show the distance.

Is this a job for a heat gun???
    Heat them enough so the angle can be relaxed a bit and fit the contour? I'm afraid I'd really deform them if I tried it however.....

Any other suggestions???

List Price: $53.87
    Our Price: $36.21
    You Save: $17.66
    Vtech Tail Light Cover - Vtech Tuff - Black Plastic Slotted
    1998-2001 Isuzu Rodeo
    V-TECH TUFF TAIL LIGHT COVERS, ABS PLASTIC, BLACK, SET OF 2 -- Made of high impact and durable ABS plastic; Features bold raised slots; Vacuum formed for rolled edges and seamless finish; Easy no-drill installation using OEM grade 3M tape.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Heat them enough so the angle can be relaxed a bit and fit the contour? I'm afraid I'd really deform them if I tried it however.....
    If the plastic doesn't feel like it has any flex, I wouldn't heat it. It looks like plastic that will melt rather than bend.

Those guards look pretty good, too bad they dont fit.

It just depends if you're willing to risk your $36. As soon as you hit it with the heat gun, you won't be able to return them.

My suggestion would be to stick them in the oven at about 250 deg for 10 minutes. When you pull them out, you'll be able to tell if the plastic will be soft enough to 'adjust' without cracking or deforming the hollow bars.

It looks to me that unfortunately the way that they are molded, the bars will deform (sorta like trying to bend a metal channel - when you bend it, one of the sides will start collapsing).

BLUF: I'm sure it can be done ... just not sure how difficult it will be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Doug- did you modify the curvature of the horizontal bars at all? Yours look like they're about 90 degrees, basically about the same as the plastic ones I just tried.

Quote Originally Posted by wekilled View Post
    Here are the pics:

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wink

Doug- did you modify the curvature of the horizontal bars at all? Yours look like they're about 90 degrees, basically about the same as the plastic ones I just tried.

Ya gotsta beat em on a curb......

" I agree on the sharp edges, but don't have a bender. I ended up doing all the bending of the brackets with C clamps, a hammer, and the edge of the sidewalk. "

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Ya gotsta beat em on a curb......

" I agree on the sharp edges, but don't have a bender. I ended up doing all the bending of the brackets with C clamps, a hammer, and the edge of the sidewalk. "

I read that over several times, and just wasn't sure if he was talking about the horizontal metal bars or the BRACKETS .....His horizontal bars do not look scuffed or imperfect in any way...and I just didn't think that was possible given his, um...technique.. .....plus they ARE STILL at about a 90 degree angle....and I think they came that way...so I think he was talking about rearranging the brackets.

Tomorrow, the 21st, is the day! I'll be collecting my VX in Melbourne.It's coming of the boat from Tasmania overnight, and will be at the port at 6:00am. i'm counting the minutes. I'm so excited that i've been buying stuff to modify it even before i've seen it in person. Bought roof rack/box + a pair of fog/driving lights, and will make the black fins become shiny.

Help! i'm trying to post pictures, followed the steps [IMG] etc... and it still doesn't work, qhat am i doing wrong?
    Here's some links for my roof rack and Vehicross, anyway :/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17121683@N00/6728865523
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/17121683@N00/6728864865
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/17121683@N00/6728865373
    Last edited by braaus : 01/19/2012 at 07:21 PM Reason: can't post pictures!

I still can't get them to show in the forum, but they do open in Flickr.

For us dummies on the udder side...what are the "fins" you're talking about??

Also, just curious, do you have the factory OEM CROSS BARS that go side to side, that the silver basket gets attached to? I didn't see them in the pictures.

The silver cargo basket looks like a rebadged "Thule" brand...called the "Xpedition 696" over here......do you know if it is?
    It's been discontinued over here, are any more of those available where you got it?
    There's several owners over here that would be interested in getting that same basket.

Good luck trying to sleep the next 2 days!!!!!

Dear VXKAT, here's where i got the roof racks, Powerfull 4x4 brand around here, looks like a replica, but t's very well made, took me 2 hours to put together, comes with the cross bars in black, you can see one attached at the back:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Heavy-Dut...item43a76d3bb6

Pretty cheap, but all the way here in Australia... They have 3 sizes for sale, and i bet if you buy in bulk they would ship to you, they come disassembled.
    I'll attach the other one once i have the car in my garage, will do some measurements before attaching to the car. The fins i was talking about are those on the front grille that looks like teeth, mine are black, i want silver or shiny.
    Here it's 2:40pm, friday, half day ahead of you already, i'll go early to bed to catch the train to Melbourne at 4 in the morning and drive back
    Please let me know if you need any help buying the racks, i can be your contact here.
    Finally, i miss USA so much, lived in Martha's Vineyard, MA for 3 years, and i'll never forget the amazing time i had over there.

Quote Originally Posted by braaus View Post
    Dear VXKAT, here's where i got the roof racks, Powerfull 4x4 brand around here, looks like a replica, but t's very well made, took me 2 hours to put together, comes with the cross bars in black, you can see one attached at the back:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Heavy-Dut...item43a76d3bb6

Pretty cheap, but all the way here in Australia... They have 3 sizes for sale, and i bet if you buy in bulk they would ship to you, they come disassembled.
    I'll attach the other one once i have the car in my garage, will do some measurements before attaching to the car. The fins i was talking about are those on the front grille that looks like teeth, mine are black, i want silver or shiny.
    Here it's 2:40pm, friday, half day ahead of you already, i'll go early to bed to catch the train to Melbourne at 4 in the morning and drive back
    Please let me know if you need any help buying the racks, i can be your contact here.
    Finally, i miss USA so much, lived in Martha's Vineyard, MA for 3 years, and i'll never forget the amazing time i had over there.
    WOW! That looks like a really good copy of our Thule 695 and the larger Thule 696. I'm not interested in buying any, but thanks for putting the info up here, several people have wanted to get them but they are discontinued here. So this should make some folks happy!

You should try to come over here in May and go to Moab Utah with the gang, it would be fun! PK is trying to come in May 2013.

Came back up for air (back to schoolwork tomorrow). I didn't mess with the curvature of the guards themselves (no pipe bender avail-or anything besides simple power tools and sidewalk, which is like cowbell, you can never have too much) All I did was use a Dremel to shorten the tubing you see in the pic--figured it would be a useful spot to mount stuff later --the pic you had with the CB antenna mount (BINGO, I LOVE the antenna mount). I then had the weld shop take three pieces of flat steel and weld it at a 45degree angle on the inside of the guard. Then vise grips, crescent wrench and some educated guesswork and just bent them to fit. One reason I have them so far from the tail light is the mismatch same as the plastic ones on the angles, it doesn't look as odd when they are further out (and they match the distance on my Mercedes grilleguard anyway)
    Last edited by wekilled : 01/19/2012 at 10:12 PM
    -Wekilled
    douglaswekell(at)gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by wekilled View Post
    All I did was use a Dremel to shorten the tubing you see in the pic--figured it would be a useful spot to mount stuff later --the pic you had with the CB antenna mount (BINGO, I LOVE the antenna mount).

I just ain't gettin' this...........
    What tubing did you Dremel and shorten?? The thin horizontal ones?

Are the thin bars/tubing now disconnected from the thicker vertical tubing?

Sorry, I'm being so dumb here...... Anybody...can you 'splain dis to me?
    Also, these stainless ones on ebay don't seem to have the correct shape...I don't see any slope on the upper, outer edge that would follow the curve of the top half of our tail lens shape . They actually look quite square to me....I can't get the picture to show in this post though.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/320778863088...49#ht_690wt_80

These follow the contour: (They're made by MANIK, but discontinued).

Quote Originally Posted by braaus View Post
    Tomorrow, the 21st, is the day! I'll be collecting my VX in Melbourne.It's coming of the boat from Tasmania overnight, and will be at the port at 6:00am. i'm counting the minutes. I'm so excited that i've been buying stuff to modify it even before i've seen it in person. Bought roof rack/box + a pair of fog/driving lights, and will make the black fins become shiny.

Will...Will.. ya out there somewhere??? You're probably in your new VX right about now!

HAVE FUN!