Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Tail Light Guards

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Sue, you seem like a perfectionist. Right?

I wouldn't be able to weld em' for you because they are stainless steel. I would return those and go to a local metal fab shop to make you custom, PERFECT, made-to-fit guards. With a tube bender, they can make tubular guards like the ones wekilled found.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Sue, you seem like a perfectionist. Right?

I wouldn't be able to weld em' for you because they are stainless steel. I would return those and go to a local metal fab shop to make you custom, PERFECT, made-to-fit guards. With a tube bender, they can make tubular guards like the ones wekilled found.

JMO
    Oh darn, can't weld to s.s.....back to the drawing board....or fab shop ...

Anybody want to buy these???? BRAAUS?????
    I've got to return them within 10 days otherwise.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by braaus View Post
    The fronts wouldn't work, because I have the rock/slider rails installed.
    The rears might fit, but they'll just get all messed up on rocks and stuff.

It's amazing what 99cents can do on ebay... got these today on the mail and now i have "yakima" roof racks, hehe!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/17121683@N00/6787669579

Did you guys consider buying the CF/black plastic (or maybe they're fiberglass?) covers from Summit Racing and have a fabricator use those as a template? Not pricey and he would destroy the plastic in making the mold, but sure seems like it would result in a much higher quality product.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Did you guys consider buying the CF/black plastic (or maybe they're fiberglass?) covers from Summit Racing and have a fabricator use those as a template? Not pricey and he would destroy the plastic in making the mold, but sure seems like it would result in a much higher quality product.
    no, but that's what I have your smart dudes around for....

Haven't ruled out any of prior ideas, but did think of another idea....
    please tell me if this is totally stupid or may be doable.....or doable but a boatload of money....or would it likely mess up the tubular metal, etc...etc...etc...

What about buying a set of guards (Black tubing style guards) that are pretty CLOSE to the VX shape, then have the fabricator modify them?? Then get them powdercoated to finish them off.
    THOUGHTS????

I saw these from an Expedition, and they're only $35 +$14 shipping which is a great deal.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130637678015...9#ht_500wt_811

And these for a RAV4:
    http://www.amazon.com/Manik-927959-B...d=KB86B0TNGNML

These are some Westin ones, just a representative pic, but I could track it down on Westin's site:
    http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.c...sored%2BSearch

JMO...those covers are purely for looks. They will not hold up to any real punishment except maybe if you back into a shopping cart at the mall. If its just for looks you can just use brake hard line and a bender (they are dirt cheap). Have someone tack them together with a welder add mounting tabs and paint any color your heart desires. Simple!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

...even purple.
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    JMO...those covers are purely for looks. They will not hold up to any real punishment except maybe if you back into a shopping cart at the mall. If its just for looks you can just use brake hard line and a bender (they are dirt cheap). Have someone tack them together with a welder add mounting tabs and paint any color your heart desires. Simple!
    Yeah, I know they're "mostly" cosmetic,...have ya seen my front/rear skids? ....But we've gotten into some pretty thick brush and chaparral around here where the branches are just at the right level of the tail lights, and drag along them (and the sides )...which is why I have to buff the heck out of my paint with the Griot's stuff!

But I've always liked the look and have had them on almost every SUV I've had in the past 15+ yrs.........I even put some type of cheap black pinstripes on my '84 CRX tail lights! That's why I'm so gung ho to finally get them for the VX.
    I haven't called the fabricator guy yet, but I will soon.

Simple you say????...simple for you, but not for me....

I'll get there....eventually.....and no, not purple....even I have boundaries I won't cross

Sue, i really admire your perseverance, you'll get there! That Westin and Manik model appear to be almost the right shape, we just don't know the size, I think if those 2 have approx. the same size as the tailight, it won't be hard to bend them a little and respray with matte black or powdercoat. Your efforts are amazing, and if you find a model that fits well, i'll buy one too, and have it adapted to mine, i think its a great idea, since its so hard to find parts, this would be an extra protection, and looks really good in my opinion, keep up the good work!
    these Tacoma have a good shape:
    http://www.rhinoliningsoforlandpark....rds_Chrome.jpg
    and you might find some good usefull info/contacts here:
    http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=45389

Sue,

I can talk to Welder Guy about making them. It probably won't be high on his priority list for a while though so the wait time will probably make it a no-go for you.

I'm guessing that what you would prefer would be 1/2 inch thick wall tubing to go around the tail light and 1/4 solid cross bars. Thoughts?

It would help if someone has a busted tail light that I can loan him till the first set is done. Anyone have one?

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Tom I have a passenger side one with small crack in it he can use, but would like to get it back when he is done with it. The crack is not that bad so if run into problem with the good one have now could use that one in a pinch.

Thanks Tom & gizmo....I don't want to cut in line on the other things WelderGuy is making.

I have a few more vehicles I've found that have a similar shape..what I'm going to do now is get measurements.....I'm going to have to go to a parking lot with my tape measure.... since I'm not having any luck with sellers responding with measurements, or they're inventory is not on site.

This may take a while, but I'm going to keep at it
    If anybody has any of these trucks, or has access to one, PLEASE let me know tail light meausrements.

Possibilities:
    1) 2005- 2008 Toyota Tacoma
    2) 2004 -2007 Dodge Durango
    3) 1998 -2003 - Dodge Dakota (not SLT)
    4) 2004 GMC Envoy/Chevy Trailblazer
    5) 2005 -2007 FORD F-150 STYLESIDE/FLAIRSIDE-turned upside down ...yes, upside down since a welder is going to fab tabs anyway....