Thread: K&N = Engine Check Light?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

K&N = Engine Check Light?

Last night I installed a K&N stock replacement air filter and PIAA Xtreme White Plus headlights.

This morning the engine check light was on during my drive to work. My VX has just rolled over the 70K mile mark.

Could the K&N filter trip the check engine light or could this be a "Time for Servicing" alert based upon mileage?
    Last edited by JAFO : 01/27/2006 at 08:16 PM

I talked with the dealership and they said that there is no mileage check that would trip the engine check light.

They said that either it is a emission check problem. Which they said to check the gas cap.

Or they said that they have had problems with the oil from the K&N air filter messing up the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor.

Has any body else had this problem with the K&N filters?

I had the drop-in K&N filter and now a huge cone filter after the SC installed - no check engine light. You may want to disconnect the battery and let the ECM reset to adjust to higher airflow.

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    I've been running K&Ns for awhile now -no CELs.

Can you take take it to an AutoZone/Shucks/Kragen/Advance and get it scanned?

I just put a K&N and I have 62k on mine. It works fine. I also took off the little elbow that goes with it.

Still get bad gas milage though.
    '99 Vehicross - Daily Driver
    '93 Wrangler - Tank in Progress

Did you damage the MAF screen or the thin wire behind it or loosen a connection on the MAF when switching out the filter? Sounds like a possible cause. Getting the filter around the intake tube can be tricky because it's a tight fit some times and the screen and harness are right there when you're working on it. Any performace changes now that the light's on? If so I would check these two possiblities.
    Live Free or DIE!

Quote Originally Posted by JULIAN911
    I had the drop-in K&N filter and now a huge cone filter after the SC installed - no check engine light. You may want to disconnect the battery and let the ECM reset to adjust to higher airflow.
    Just tried that. When I restarted the VX it surges continuosly now. Until I press the accelerator to even it out. When I let off it continues to surge the throttle and then the engine check light comes on and then it levels out the RPMs.

I took out the K&N filter, put the stock one back in, and disconnected the battery again. When I started it back up it repeated the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeach
    Can you take take it to an AutoZone/Shucks/Kragen/Advance and get it scanned?
    I'm going to take it there right now.