Thread: VX motor swap???

VX motor swap??? *Pic found*

So I was going through the gallery the other day and noticed someone had a picture of what looked like a GM 3.8 supercharged motor (L67) in a rear wheel drive vehicle. Sorry, I didn't get the name from the picture, it's like eight pages in or something, but does anyone know anything about this? That would be a wicked cool swap, just wondering if its in a VX.
    Last edited by Chef : 02/13/2006 at 10:22 AM

I had a Pontiac SSEi 3.8 supercharged. And that would be a nice fitting upgrade for the VX. The 3.8 is one of the best trouble free engine GM ever made, with plenty of get up and go...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    I'm fairly certain that there's a 3.4L swapped into an Isuzu somewhere.

It's not that big of a jump to a 3.8SC from there. Believe me, I've considered it.

Heck, even the Aurora/Northstar can bolt up to our tranny (with a little effort of course).

I've actually got an extra supercharged 3.8 motor laying around. Planned on rebuilding it and going turbo for my grand prix. Problem is you'd have to source a M90 supercharger from an australian holden where the inlet curves back around to face the front in order to get it to work in a rear drive application. Considering the power I'm getting out of a few basic cheap mods, the VX would be one hell of a sleeper considering its only 200lbs heavier than my prix. How tough are the VX's tranny and transfer case? The L67 is 240 horse 280 ftlb stock but in most cases people find that the tourqe is under-rated.

not strong enough, but it might hold the power from the stock L67 if its only pushing 280torq.

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Search on Pirate4x4 for this same topic.

I believe that a supercharger housing for a Lighting will curve the intake back towards the front of the engine. There's pics as I recall....

What else has the VX tranny been used in? I wonder if I could find a trashed one just to see if it would mount to the motor. Exhaust mani's would have to be custom built. Or for the absolutely bullet-proof approach, use the N/A 3800 series II (L36), good power, better reliability.

The lightning uses an M112 charger, it can be mounted on an L67 as many have over on clubgp.com, but the torque would destroy the trans.

Also the GM 3800 is an Iron block motor, this will add significant weight to the front end. On the new impala the 3800 is something like 200 lbs heavier than the V8 in the SS model.

The impala ss just has the L67. The GXP is the only w-body to get the V8 as I recall. So our motors are aluminum block and heads?

What about an LS-2 or LS-6? I'd love to see one of them in a VX?

BTW, where's Alan at?!?! What's the status of Randy's LS1 VX?
    Steve

theres a pretty good write up somewhere on teh forum about our tranny. just do a search....but we can potentially do a manual transmission swap which will probably hold more power and have tod...

I'll just have to go search the gallery again. There's a member on this board thats dropped an L67 in something rear wheel drive and I'm curious as to what it is.

Manual tranny would rock. They've been trying in the Grand Prix community for a while but there's not a FWD manual that will hold up to the torque. Interested to hear about the LS1 swap though.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...cat=500&page=1

I hope this link works, this is the pic I was talking about, can't make out what it says on the engine cover. Member is v2, anyone seen this before?

Quote Originally Posted by Chef
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...cat=500&page=1

I hope this link works, this is the pic I was talking about, can't make out what it says on the engine cover. Member is v2, anyone seen this before?
    I saw that picture also - but EVERYTHING about it is wrong - all the accessories are in the wrong place, the radiator hose is wrong, the "ABS Thing" he mentioned is in the wrong place - the whole engine compartment is wrong. I think for whatever reason, he took an underhood picture of another vehicle and placed it here. The benefit to the swap FAR outweighs the work that would have been done to achieve what is pictured here (ie, the juice is NOT worth the squeeze!!). Maybe the owner of the pic will come forward and tell us the real deal.
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

And thats the first thing I thought as well, nothing matches plus it has some stock looking supercharger cover. The only vehicle that comes to mind is an australian holden model that uses this motor with that exact charger, the inlets on domestic M90's point straight back.