Hi everyone - I'm new here but have been reading for a long time. Hope to get your feedback if anyone has ideas for me. Otherwise might be saying goodbye to my baby!

Last night, the engine seized on my beloved 99 VX with 107k on her. I've had her for 5 yrs and during all that time I am religious about changing oil at least every 3,000 miles if not more often. In the 5 yrs I've owned her I havent had 1 SINGLE problem whatsoever. Until now.

She just had a full oil chg 2.5 wks ago at JiffyLube (I drive 1000 miles a week tho so that's been 2,500 miles ago now). And I saw the "oil light" start to flicker on and off...not even steadily ON. At the 1st sign of flickering, I immediately pulled over checked oil: BONE DRY! I put 2 qts oil in. Oil light goes off. Okay then. Drove another mile and dam* oil lite starts flickering again. I pull off to Giant Auto. Check oil again - AGAIN BONE DRY - all 2 qts I just put in are GONE! Now AutoGiant tell me put in 3.5 qts more. I do. Drive another mile. Pulling onto xpressway and BOOM! Car stops dead on me. I got her started just enough to get to a gas station where she died again. Dipstick TOTALLY DRY again!! Towtruck takes her to mech. Mech says: "your engine has seized" due to lack of oil.

naturally I suspected JiffyLube did me wrong. So I asked mech to put her on a lift and check that oil filter was not installed wrong and that oil cap is tightly closed. He says "yes they are both fine". He would have expected a lot of oil splashed under the area if it was due to leak from oil pan/drain. But its all clean down there. I also asked him to check that the kid at JiffyLube didn't leave the old rubber filter on when he put the NEW rubber filter on. He said "that wouldn't matter anyway". Is he right?

When I asked how 2 wks after an oil change, and after just adding 5.5 qts of oil that night, ALL my oil could have DISAPPEARED, he said it definitely "burned off" and it was "probly a head seal gasket blew" but he did not sound too sure.

Cost to me: $6,500 to get reman engine installed or go to junkyard and find my own (still they are running around 3,000).

Does this sound right to anyone? Is there something else I can check and stick this bill to anyone else?

I called Isuzu and b*tched but of course the car is not under warranty and there is no Recall or TSB on it either (not even 1). They suggested go to a dealer and ask for the Goodwill Program. I did - so I could at least get SOMETHING off the repair price. The dealer called his Zone Mgr who (surprise, surprise) couldnt do anything for me either since I am the 2nd owner, not original owner.

So I am at a real loss here. Is this typical VX behavior???

Now a few years back, I had a "check engine" lite go on. Took it into my mech to hook up to computer. They ran the diagnostic (cost = $170) and they said the Oxygen Sensor needed replacing - but that there was "no harm or damage" that could come from leaving that undone. It was like $500 to do so I let that go. Could THAT have anything to do with burning oil to the point of destroying the engine???

Also, this car has always been in the Chicago area - this summer we moved to LA where its extremely hot all the time. In the fall we moved back to Chicago - could the extreme weather have done it?

Finally, this car has always been a real "road warrior" - we live 50 miles from work and this is the daily driver. I took a job that is 100 miles away (so 1,000 miles a week on her). Could the sudden increase in mileage each week have caused this?

I did not know u r supposed to check oil every fuel fillup and no, I have never done that - just JiffyLube every 3k.

Wouldn't I have seen smoke (course its winter here, so everyone has white smoke coming out their tailpipe now!)??? Wouldnt I have noticed an oil spill?

I love this car and kills me to think about giving her up.