Thread: New VX Owner and Rough Idle

New VX Owner and Rough Idle

Hello All! I just bought myself a 99' VX. Had it shipped all the way up to the island in Alaska, in which I live. I have never seen such an awesome looking vehicle. I just had to have it. I like everything about it, with one exception. It is idling strangely. When put into park, the tach flutters dramatically, and often dies. Three days after I got it, the check engine light came on. The dealer says there was never any kind of problem when they had it. I think he's lying, but that's what happens when you buy something sight unseen. Anyway, I was wondering if all you seasoned owners had any tips for me. I have read several reasons for the check engine light to engage, but the idling is baffling even the local mechanic. I don't want to ever drive anything else. I hope it isnt serious!

**edit** Welcome! I moved your post into it's own thread so, folks can answer your questions..
    Last edited by Moncha : 02/17/2006 at 05:31 AM Reason: Moved for better recognition of topic

What codes is it showing? shawn
    1COOLVX

Intake gasket perhaps?
    Live Free or DIE!

Arrow

If you don't have a code reader get ye self to a local AutoZone as they'll pull codes for you. Also, try disconnecting your battery for about 30 minutes so the ECU will reset.

Rough idle is generally indicative of a fuel issue and sometimes ignition. You may have something as simple as a loose sensor connection or perhaps one has failed. If that's the case you'll definitely have codes.

How does it run when driving? Does the power feel normal? Is the only problem you're having with the idle?

Keep us updated!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Welcome to the club ! I myself have '99 with rough idle. I've heard the intake gasket needs replacement. Depening on the weather/humidity conditions it will act on you. I've heard it is $200 repair. Good luck !
    Andrey

I would definately look into the intake gasket as others have mentioned. Other little things to do may be change the fuel filter, spark plugs, clean/wipe down MAF sensor in intake. But if you can get the code read we can probobly help more.

BTW... Which Island in Alaska?
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

I'd look at two things: The intake gasket as everyone else mentioned and also around the EGR for any leaks. When one of my EGR bolt was loose, i had a dancing idle.

So in other words, some sort of an air leak would cause that. If that is the case for you, then you'd also probably feel some power loss. In my case, I had this sound whenever I accelerated, it was like someone holding a card in the spikes of a bike.

was looking for a dome light through google and somehow ended up at a general maintence site?? anyway found this little tidbit and figured it might be helpful

Eratic Idle Speed:

Isuzu engines commonly exhibit eratic idle problems, the engine revving and dropping in rpms, sometimes dropping almost to the point of dying. There are several things that can cause this problem:
    Leaks in the vacume hoses or aged, cracked hoses can let in air that is not being metered by the ECU's sensors.
    Leaking or sticking EGR Bypass valve may be allowing exhaust gasses into the intake when the engine is not under load (idling).
    Loose electrical connections in the engine sensors can cause problems.

doesnt specifically talk about VXs or even the 6VE1... but it does give good random isuzu advice

http://www.isuzuperformance.com/isupage/tech/tips.html

Thumbs up

When my intake gasket went, the engine started to run rough and you could hear the air hissing.The gasket gets brittle with age and heat.Call merlin for the new and improved gasket..good luck Tony B

Mine had the exact same idle problem you describe, especially in warmer weather. All problems solved with the Intake Manifold Gasket replacement. As others suggested, I'd start there.
    1999 Lotus VX Ironman Edition
    It's fun to rebadge...

2001, Silver, Vehicross, Supercharged, 0492, Sold 3/20/2012
    I would suspect a vacuum leak. Bolts holding brackets to the intake maniford go clear through into the intake passages. The bolts get loose and you have a leak. Check the EGR to intake maniford bracket ( At firewall on the pass side). A long bolt goes straight down and can fall up and out producing a monster leak.
    Welcome, Roy

1999, Supercharged, Ebony, Vehicross, 0809
    Another thing to look at is the throttle body and specifically the Idle Control Valve located on the throttle body. Many times particulary with the number of miles you have on your VX, the Idle Control Valve gets very dirty and sticks or stops working all together.

I had been dealing with P0101 codes setting and then turning off and rough idle especially after freeway driving for some time now. My VX had been to 3 different mechanics trying to diagnose the problem. None of them could find the problem. We determined that there was nothing wrong with the MAF as it is new and there were no vacuum leaks since we smoked the entire engine. The O2 sensors are all new and all other sensors and operating parameters checked out on the diagnostic equipment.

Finally last weekend I decided to take a look at the throttle body. It was in need of cleaning, but the ICV was really nasty. I cleaned the throttle body and ICV with throttle body cleaner. Now my VX runs better then it has in quite a long time with no idle problems and no codes. I also decided to buy a new ICV and I will install it this weekend. It's not that expensive about $45. I'd rather have a new one that I know is in perfect working order.