Thread: VX Racing history

Post VX Racing history

Does anyone know of a comprehensive racing history for the VX?

I loved reading about Tone Monday's VX racing exploits, but is there another resource on this subject?

Thumbs up

I can't point you to any specific sites or printed histories, but the VX was campaigned in several Asian, Australian and European rallies by professional outfits. Teams have also used the VX in SCORE off-road racing here in the US, the Geolandar being one of the most notable, and also in the Dakar.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Bob Land Racing was active with it in early 2001 I think running Laughlin.

and what about that robo-VX race thing?
    Steve

Tonbo House Rally VX's

Well...thank you all for your responses to the racing history question. I had no idea that the VX had such an illustrious racing background. Why hasn't any body written a book about this vehicle? If someone did, it would sure help resale, because the basic concept-car to hand assembled production VX story, and especially the racing is all most impressive. The VX will be an underground phenomenon until the book is done, I think. Legends are created by published accounts, and with Isuzu backing away early-on from the VX legacy this vehicle never really got its just reward.
    What do you think? Can we prepare an exciting VX story for motoring history? It sure seems like the raw material is there to work with, or put better, the little VX is the "racing truck" that could and people need to know that. (Even if it didn't win all the time; it sure looked good doing it and how many vehicles can say that!)

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    That really is a neat idea, I'd buy a book if there were one.

But in reality, the same could be said about the Kia Sportage's racing history. Who would buy that book?

You are right and you are wrong the difference from the Sportage being that the VX was born of a concept car that actually won Japan's car of the year award (that's kind of a race of sorts that the VX won!) and was then all hand assembled, and finally raced Paris/Dakar etc. ( You know the first years of Porsche, the early fifties, they just showed up but didn't win that often.) Can a Sportage boast of a legend like the VX? I doubt it. So...race fans the choice is ours. Do we want to write the book? "Gentlemen (and ladies too, of course) start your legends!" Then lets compile the facts and figures, because we all win when the book goes to the library of Congress (all books do, you know) and motor sports writers will start encountering the "title" when they research their various projects. Right now, the VX is known to just a few underground enthusiasts, more people need to know about its remarkable accomplishments. And watch the resale value soar in a few more years instead of languish in the dark recesses of motoring history, like a Christy What's a Christy you say? (Well you would know if they had just written the book.)

another bit of history

I wonder if anyone knows the correct number of how many of the 4153 that landed on these shores that have been written off.