Thread: rear door light?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking rear door light?

I just bought my VX a couple days ago (only took me 5 years ) and its bugging me that theres no light in the back cargo area when i open the back door... so ive decided my official first mod will be a pressure switch for the rear gate and a light/lights to illuminate the cargo area... anyone got suggestions how to do this? thanks

eric

I took a look at all that is back there and when I get around to it, I am going to install very small (3mm) white LED's (already bought) in the small grooved openings and install a simple switch from Home Depot probably. Anyone know where the best place to get a positive and negative back there? I know this mod has been done before with lights.

for a + u might have to pull form a radio or from teh battery....but u can ground anywhere really...

Get a light from a junk yard (allhyundaiisuzu - don't know the web site) and wire it into your existing dome light. If you use a snake (or coat hanger) to fish the wires, you can hook it right into the existing wiring there. When you open the doors, it will come on with the original, or you can push it on. If you want it to work with the back door, wire in a pin switch to the back door as well. This will activate all your lights when the back door is open.
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    If you think the lack of a rear dome light is annoying, wait until you have to take the keys out of the ignition to open the rear door five or six times! The fix for this is a fix for BOTH problems... get Tone's rear door popper kit (see http://tonemonday.com). A LOT of the people on this board have gotten and installed it - it is almost a required mod for the VX.

Benefits:
    - gives you a push-button switch for the dash or center console that will pop open the rear door
    - wires the rear door into the alarm system (no, it is not connected to the alarm system normally)
    - makes the dome light turn on when the rear door is opened

These are really surprisingly bad shortcomings of the stock VX design, but they are easily fixed with the door popper kit. You could collect all of the parts yourself for cheaper than the $130 Tone is charging, but his kit is complete and it works.

Good luck, and welcome to the family!

I agree with Viehigaz, one of the best mods that was done to mine. If I remember correctly it has a trooper domelight in the back and also has a manual on/off switch on the light itself. Just make sure you put it back far enough so the rear seats dont cast a shadow of the area your trying to light up.

that looks really good rick, thanks to everyone for all your help, i will probably end up using Tone door popper kit with another dome light... whats the best way to wire above the headliner?