OK, after reading the Custom Stealthbox thread and brainstorming about it a little, I decided I might possibly attempt a mass production of a similar part... just need to know what your preferences are and get a feel for how many I might be able to sell... obviously the price is going to depend on how many are interested... and of course time invested and material cost per part.

Anyway, what I need to know is mostly what size sub is everyone interested in? I personally have a preference of 12", but I know that many people prefer the sound of a 10". I like the 12" because you can get a little deeper bass but still get a nice crisp, snappy bass too. What do you prefer?

What I have in mind is to pull a mold off of the original rear panel, mold an area in the sub mounting area (probably slightly flared out), and then reproduce that once it is perfected. Also, the actual sub enclosure would be permanently molded into the back of the panel so that most likely, no extra mounting brackets would be needed (depending on how heavy the subwoofer used is). If there are enough interested in this, I could get a gelcoat custom matched to the OEM plastic so that there would be no painting needed. You would use the red plastic wing-bolts to mount the panel into place and your original panel could be stored in a safe place for future reinstallation.

Just how many people would be interested in such a part? Are there any other features that you would like? What would you think a fair price for something like this would be? Keep in mind, that IF I make something like this, they will be 100% hand laid fiberglass... so the price is going to somewhat reflect that. Once I get a good feel for this, I will start working on the prototype. Also, if there is a fairly close interest between the 10" and 12" panel, I might make both... the enclosure would most likely be the same size but since there will be extra mold making time, will end up bumping the price up just a touch. On the other hand, a 12" panel could be built so that YOU cut the hole for YOUR sub and so the same panel could be used for either. Whataya think?

Well, let the discussion begin... btw, if you have any VX owning friends who aren't active on the board, talk to them about this and relay their input... or get them on the board... as if they don't need to be here anyway.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!