Originally posted by paultvx
I personally would not want a sub box that is molded to be a part of any of the vx's interior pannel because the panels are expensive to replace. This means the boxes themselves would be expensive if they come with the panels, or it means I would have to cut up or modify what I have and then have to deal with paying $ to return the VX to factory spec if that day ever comes.
In my post I mentioned that the original panel would NOT be modified at all... that your OEM panel would be left to be stored safely out of harms way so that you could return you VX to original in the future should you need to. Also, I mentioned that the enclosure I am proposing would be completely hand laid fiberglass which means I am not sacrificing ANY OEM VX panels... not even my own so nobody has to lose an OEM panel... which leaves plenty for those who might need to buy one at a later date. I don't believe in hacking ANY OEM panel for the sake of a system... especially if its in a rare vehicle like our VX's.

I would be more interested a box in either of the following froms:

1) A fiberglassed, countour fitted box that sits in one of the rear corners (Driver side would be best). This box would be in the way somewhat if you load/unload large objects. However, for daily use it'll be OK. Problem is access to one of the tool/jack access panels would be blocked. So it would have to be somewhat removeable.
My personal objection to this type of enclosure is that a) as you said, would take up space that IMO is not very abundant when loading large objects. I personally load my tool box for work up in my VX and it fits just right... take any space away and it won't fit... b)as you mentioned, I want access to my jack and tools should I need them... c) anything in the back and I would lose a unique feature of our SUV's.. the rear seats recline... a nice feature when I'm taking my son on a cross country trip.

2) A box that is similar to the rear cargo storeage box Tone showed a while back (I think it was Tone) where the top of the box is level with the seat backs of the rear seats when they're folded down. If you can build in some storeage bins, that would be even better. Also, it would be best if the sub mounting surface is counter sunk so that if you do put cargo on top of everything, the sub won't get in the way and get damanged. This will allow room for sub grills to be installed. And, for those who want a stealthy appearance, what if you make it a down firing system? Anyone looking in won't see any subs at all.
This enclosure that you speak of was a nice deal... simple, clean and unobtrusive. It is definitely a second choice of mine for many of the reason like you said. My sub eclosure will be nearly invisible to a passing theif though... unless they just KNOW that you have something. Tone's however does take up useful space in the case that someone does like myself and takes a cross country trip... luggage or maybe even reclining space (Tone? Does this hinder rear seat reclining?)

If 12" subs are too deep, then I'd say go with two 10"s. 10s are best for tight, accurate sound reproduction. They cost less, and sound absolutely amazing. I had two entry level JL 10W0s wired in parallel once in a VW hatchback and it was the most versatile bass system I have ever heard. From tight, well defined punchy bass to low frequency rumble, those 10s handled it all. I listened to just about every kind of music there is from classical to hip hop and those subs played them all beautifully. The two subs together didn't even cost over $100.

Oh.. btw, I'd go with sealed enclosures. No porting should be used if definition is desired.
No doubt that the debate between 10" and 12" subs comes down to personal preference and that is certainly the reason I asked the opinion about this. I also agree with you on the JL W0 line... I had two JL12W0's in my Trans Am and loved them to death... probably going back in the VX... and like you said, can't beat the price.

I also agree with you on the sealed enclosure... one of the reasons I prefer sealed is that they are more forgiving to design flaws, but they can be MUCH smaller than a ported eclosure for a similar sub.

If anyone is interested, there's a company out there who makes really nice looking sub boxes. Not a custom fit, but they do look good. The brand is Element Enclosures. http://www.audio-n-more.com/element_...enclosures.htm
Pretty neat looking enclosures no doubt... but they would take up ALL of the rear cargo area from the looks of them. Certainly not bad if you wanna be seen at a show or something... but as you expressed concern earlier in the post, they would stick out like sore thumbs to a theif looking to score some new speaks.

Some very valid points and definitely good to hear your opinion on the matter. I however see several people have already taken the path of the sub sunk into the back door... so I'm gonna guess that there will be a decent amount of interest. I even saw a few people asking for a reproduction of the stealth box in the first thread so we are well on our way.

I know that if someone was to approach a shop to build what I am proposing, they would be hit with a price of $600+ (even upwards to $800). I am guessing (and its only a guess at this point as I havne't done any figures on how much material it would take) that the ballpark price would be $300 give or take. It is going to depend much on the interest... the more I sell... the lower the price is gonna be... the mold making process is the expensive time consuming part.

Anyway... anyone else got some input for us? TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!