View Poll Results: What size subwoofer would you prefer in YOUR custom stealthbox?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10"

20 38.46%
  • 12"

28 53.85%
  • other

4 7.69%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: custom stealthbox... part deux! (looking for input for possible mass production)

Well, I ended up working something out with Tone to modify the rear utility box he offers, into a sub unit. Instead of the hatch/door he has on the backside, I had him cut a 12" hole in the top side. Yesterday I drilled some starter holes for the ports, a hole for the wire jack, filled with polyfill, and mounted my 12" JL Audio sub in it. Sounds and looks great! I had to pick up a Polk grill which I will eventually paint black, but it still works out near perfect. Once I get the ports finalised, I'll post some pics.

That dual 12" hatch setup above is pretty scary looking. It will be interesting to see what the final results look like. Can't wait.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Talking !update!

Just about done, wet sanding and detailing is up next to finish it up....x

(Ill take some day shots and switch these out soon just realized there not that great sorry)

Tone i should have pix of the ps2 set up shortly though im not completely satistfies w/it and will be trying a different design.

'01, Dragon Mica Green NO MORE, 1393 SOLD

Thumbs up

Not bad.

Looking good so far!

Did you fabricate a whole new panel, or just fiberglass over your stock panel? How does it sound?

Wow. Looks great.

That's similar to what I had in mind myself, but without any real measuring I had figured I'd only get 2 10" in there. I also wanted to add 2 6x9" above, though, and it looks like you even have space for those.

I figure the top of the door should be high enough to get some decent midrange from the rear, and still not use up any cargo space.

How's the door handling the vibration?

-Daver
    -Daver

Thumbs up

It amazing, with the system cranked you can stand right behind it and there is no rattling, vibrations or anything.

I cant believe how well it keeps the sound in the car. Of course you can hear it from outside. But the bass goes into the vx and for the most part stays in.

I have yet to push the system with the hatch open and though i am very tempted too and probly will soon , it was strongly advised not to.

Anyhow it is great, it takes a bit more space than what i like but i still have enough room to do groceries and whatnot, and if i had more $ and time id get into more goodies like you mentioned. Additional speakers, a cap, or even a monitor could sit back there w/little problems. My best mod yet - Well the ps2 is pretty neat also ....x

Whoa Now...

Not bad Love to hear what it sounds like
    NAVIGATOR

After looking at your original pictures I was tossing around a few ideas and I thought it would be really cool to use all that extra space for a storage compartment, right above the subs. You could just make it a big pocket with a small cargo net to keep your gear from bouncing out.

I, on the other hand, think I'll try to squeeze an amp rack in there.

Very cool looking indeed. Cant wait to see the finished product. Take your time and dont worry about any of us, heh. We are waiting patiently.

Id love to see a setup like X and an amp rack in the hole above it and some kind of panel covering up the bottom part.... Id prefer the subs to fit flat tho so Ill have to do some building of my own... I think Ill do two 10" and use 1" MDF for the box.... Has anyone put a linear actuator between the rear door and the frame? Where that little stip of metal goes into the door frame to hold the door open? I have a 2way lcd alarm with all sorts of outputs and I could hook it up to open the rear door with a popper kit and a linear actuator. Let me kno if anyone thinks the mounting point for the metal door holder opener is strong enough... Thanks guys

Eckstream -

I've got a setup similar to what you're describing. I've got two 12" subs in a sealed box, with a slanted top where my amp sits. Eventually I'll be designing a panel to replace the original, but I haven't quite figured out what I want it to look like yet. It looks kind of cool how it is right now. One day I'll buy a digital camera and post some pics.

Originally posted by coachreed: I meant to ask the other night... who said "other"? What you lookin for? Maybe a pair of 10" subs? That might be able to happen.
    Two 8" subs. I have two good 8" subs that I like to run in stereo. For dual kickdrums. They sound good, fill the truck with bass without being blatantly obvious from outside that you have a sub; like 12" subs.
    Last edited by JAFO : 03/02/2004 at 12:31 PM

That's where good sound damping comes in; I can BLARE my two twelves, yet if the doors and windows are closed, you can barely hear a thing outside. It's awesome!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I dunno who recently voted on this poll, but the OP hasn't logged on since 2008, so don't get your hopes up...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    I dunno who recently voted on this poll, but the OP hasn't logged on since 2008, so don't get your hopes up...
    C'mon Dub, the thread is only 9 years old. One can hope....