Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Obscure, Unusual, or just plain BAD Movie Thread

Here! Here! My favorite movie of all time too! Check this out:

I snapped this shot when I was up in Seattle. They have a Sci-Fi museum there. These are the original costumes worn by J.F., Rachael and Zhora. Pretty sweet to see!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by HotFlyer
    Best Movie. One Word "BLADERUNNER"

I've heard mixed things about Hostel. I'll have to check it out. For me, my top most disturbing are:

Southern Comfort
    The Hills Have Eyes (original, although I heard the re-make is pretty good)
    and last but not least, Deliverance

I've been trying to get my wife to watch all three with me back to back, but she isn't really into the disturbing, violation style movies like I am.

This thread is too much for me. I could go on and on. Netflix is by far the best thing to happen to a movie junkie like me. I watch 6-8 movies a week. If they do this on demand thing, I'm in trouble...

Bart

PS - Check out a movie called The Acid House if you like weird and funny...

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalVX
    Hostel ... watch this movie and be scarred for life. Now, don't get me wrong... I love horror movies! However... this movie was not scary, only disturbing. I have heard of snuff films before. Never had any desire to see one. This movie was as close as I ever want to get. I know there are some of you out there that are going to watch it to see how Mr. Nocturnal's delicate sensibilities could possibly be offended... they made a Hostel2 after all. Trust me... do not.

Other than that... I love all the obscure horror, comedy, action films listed. I haven't thought of some of these flicks in a long time... gotta go on a DVD shopping spree!

I see someone mentioned Strange Brew, That was a good one.
    I think my favorite is the original Gone in 60 Seconds (It was filmed on a low budget and without the permits and stuff).
    I also liked the first Spielburg movie where the truck was trying to run the guy off the road... Can't think of the name? .... DUEL?
    Oh and you'll probably think i'm nuts, but the Princess Bride is probably my 2nd favorite! (Anybody want a peanut?)
    If you don't first THINK THINK, you could end up in deep DO DO!

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    This is going back a ways, but did anyone else like Silent Running?

Princess Bride is not obscure, unusual, or bad - it's a popular classic!

I think I'm missing something in Bladerunner... it's a good movie, certainly, but too many people call it one of their favorite/best movies - I must not be appreciating its subtle nuances properly.

Oohh!!! Southern Comfort!!! I forgot about that one!! It was one of my favorites as a teenager! I had a tape of it recorded off the TV, commercials and all! Army reservists and crazy Cajun hijinks in the swamps of Louisiana...

Allow me to add a SUQ to the list....

Son of the Mask http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362165/ :

I tend to enjoy films with Alan Cumming, but this one is just a DEAR GOD KILL ME NOW. I was bored as all hell this past weekend and found myself watching it on some obscure channel. Although, Traylor Howard is in it and is one of those "under the radar" cuties. Too bad this movie won her a Razzie.

Surprising fun film: Check out Feast http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426459/ :

This was a Project Greenlight film that had all the signs of being a steaming pile during production. I picked up a used DVD of it recently for $4 in perfect condition and it was one of the most pleasant surprises ever. Fun, action packed, completely over the top, campy humour, and interesting characters. Be prepared for gore, gore, and more gore. Somewhere in post edit, this film did something right and made it completely enjoyable (if not gross).
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

OK, don't take offense but, I think Silent Running is one of the WORST sci-fi films ever! This movie, is not only painfully drawn out, but the sound track makes it excruciating. I found myself muting the montages to spare my ears of that woman's god awful voice. The sad part is, the idea for this movie is great, as I am all about saving trees and protecting the forests. But the tone of Silent Running just turned it into a bunch of "tree-hugging hippie crap". I enjoyed Bruce Dern more in the part of the psycho, gun-toting neighbor in The Burbs (one of my favorite comedies).

Now, how anyone can miss the dark beauty of Blade Runner is beyond me. This movie, is by far the greatest science fiction accomplishment ever to be printed on film. There is MUCH to be gotten from this film, as it speaks about our own humanity in many different ways. And aside from that, this particular vision of the future, is probably more than accurate, imo. And the score by Vangelis makes it that much better. Just thinking about that opening scene with the music sends chills up my spine. Blade Runner is by far and away Ridley Scott's masterpiece, and the best movie Ford and Hauer have ever been part of.

And please, don't say Star Wars. The original Star Wars trilogy, in its ORIGINAL format, is fantastic, break through, and fun. But Star Wars has been destroyed by its creator in so many ways, and on so many levels. And all that aside, when you compare a movie like Blade Runner to a movie like Star Wars, its just seems like Star Wars is more of a kiddie family movie, whereas Blade Runner is a serious science fiction film, made for adults. Thankfully, Lucas didn't 'eff up THX1138 too bad with his new cut of that film.

Anyway, that's enough...like I said. I love movies, and I love to talk about them. Great thread!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by VehiGAZ
    This is going back a ways, but did anyone else like Silent Running?

Princess Bride is not obscure, unusual, or bad - it's a popular classic!

I think I'm missing something in Bladerunner... it's a good movie, certainly, but too many people call it one of their favorite/best movies - I must not be appreciating its subtle nuances properly.

Oohh!!! Southern Comfort!!! I forgot about that one!! It was one of my favorites as a teenager! I had a tape of it recorded off the TV, commercials and all! Army reservists and crazy Cajun hijinks in the swamps of Louisiana...

Feast is in my Netflix que. I'll move it up.

How about Slither ? Anyone see this one? I had a similar idea about this film, I was totally expecting it to suck really hard, but it turned out to be loads of fun, full of silly, but VERY well done gore, and hilarious comedy.

I loved it, especially the Mayor. He makes the movie.

Bart

PS - Speaking of silly, but VERY well done gore, a must see for everyone is Dead Alive (aka Brain Dead) by Peter Jackson. Just make sure you get the unrated version.

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod
    Surprising fun film: Check out Feast http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426459/ :

This was a Project Greenlight film that had all the signs of being a steaming pile during production. I picked up a used DVD of it recently for $4 in perfect condition and it was one of the most pleasant surprises ever. Fun, action packed, completely over the top, campy humour, and interesting characters. Be prepared for gore, gore, and more gore. Somewhere in post edit, this film did something right and made it completely enjoyable (if not gross).

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Talking

I dare anyone to rent the Mystery Science Theatre's version of Manos, Hands of Fate. Check the member's reviews of it on Netflix.
    Last edited by Anita : 03/29/2007 at 10:28 AM
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anita
    I dare anyone to rent the Mystery Science Theatre's version of Manos, Hands of Fate. Check the member's reviews of it on Netflix.
    Hah! I actually bought that DVD. It has both the movie in its original form, and then with MST3K's treatment of it.
    The original is unwatchable; the one with Tom Servo and Crow: utterly hilarious!

Supposedly at least two of the cast members later committed suicide after this movie came out(?)

I caught the Depp film "The Ninth Gate" and found it really good and interesting, until the end. One to get from Net Flix if you're into film noir, obscure religious horror and Depp. Another is the Jim Jarmusch movie "Dead Man"

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Is it a bad thing that I'm using this thread as a checklist of movies I need to see?

It sure is nice to see that, with your bizarre vehicles, you also appreciate bizarre movies.

First of all, I can confirm that I have seen Shakes the Clown. Multiple times. Quotable. I've got to add Better Off Dead to the list, too, though.

Sci-Fi? There sure is a lot of bad sci-fi out there. I can't believe nobody's mentioned Dune yet! Silent Running had only one thing going for it: those cool little dune buggy-like things. But if you're really looking for cheesy bad Sci-Fi, you just can't beat Dark Star. Dark City has a special place on my DVD shelf, though.

Horror? Not really my thing. But I think Ginger Snaps is a riot, and the whole Resident Evil series is a lot of fun. I'm generally fond of zombie movies.

Obscure. Yeah, I like obscure. Check out Divorcing Jack some time. Or Boondock Saints or Run, Lola, Run, but stay away from the sountrack on that last one -- it causes speeding tickets. Thursday is a lot of fun, too, but good luck finding a copy of it!

Amelie. See it. Trust me.

Geeky? Sin City is pretty good, and I like Sneakers -- it keeps my copies of Hackers, Swordfish and Johnnie Mnemonic company. To round out the geek fest, I've got to throw Ghost in the Shell on the list, too.

Finally, I have to admit to really enjoying Dude, where's my car.

All time fav.
    DUMB AND BUMBER
    BIO-DOME

Other recent good movies
    OLD SCHOOL
    WEDDING CRASHERS

Other mentions
    SNATCH
    ROYAL TENNABAUMS
    THE LAST KISS
    NOTEBOOK

I love all Jackass DVD's, season episodes and ALL CKY's. And Brandon "Bam" Margera's movie "Haggard" Also I enjoy all Steve-O DVD's.

Bart, I agree with Slither. My new fav genre is horror comedy. Since Cabin Fever ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303816/ ), those films are always on my MUST SEE list. Cabin Fever, by the way, is extremely fun to watch and Cerina Vincent is simply one of the finest women to ever see the big screen. I mean cmon, she was the yellow Power Ranger!

Anyways, I liked Slither so much I had to add it to my HDDVD collection.

To add another crappy flick, Superman Returns. Sorry, but Smallville kicks the crap out of that.

Yeah, Cabin Fever was decent, there was some really funny stuff in there. But Slither, yeah, its part of my DVD collection now also. And this just reminds me of another film that I absolutely loved: Ravenous

Its certainly not for everyone, but man, I loved it. Its quirky enough, and violent enough to make it a really unique story. And the cast is just great. I highly recommend it.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod
    Bart, I agree with Slither. My new fav genre is horror comedy. Since Cabin Fever ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303816/ ), those films are always on my MUST SEE list. Cabin Fever, by the way, is extremely fun to watch and Cerina Vincent is simply one of the finest women to ever see the big screen. I mean cmon, she was the yellow Power Ranger!

Anyways, I liked Slither so much I had to add it to my HDDVD collection.

To add another crappy flick, Superman Returns. Sorry, but Smallville kicks the crap out of that.

Agreed. Amelie is quite possibly the greatest all around film even made. It doesn't matter what nationality you are, what color you are, how old you are, man or woman, where you're from or anything. This movie is spectacular.

I would say it is on my top 5 list forever.

Bart

PS - If you liked Amelie, make sure you check out Jeunet's other films, especially the ones he did with Marc Caro, like Delicatessen! Just fantastic stuff! These guys are both superb directors.

Quote Originally Posted by mdwyer
    Amelie. See it. Trust me.