Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Squeek/Rattle Help

Talking

Wow! I helped? Whoopie!!!
    Return evil for evil to no one...as far as it depends upon YOU, be peaceable with all men. Romans 12:17, 18

Lightbulb rattle in rear compartment solved

i found that the sound described - rattle when going over bumps is coming from too much play in the rear seat floor latch. I have tried several things but only reduce the noise, temporarily. going to try closed cell foam in a thin layer around latch to get some pressure against the loop and kill the slack. squeaks up front during bumps have always come from hood bumpers mounted on the radiator sheetmetal. try twisting 1/2 turn for instant fix, and then try some silicone based lube for long term. worked for me. from az, RONIN

The rattle is in the right rear quarter panel, the seat latch dosent seem to be the problem, could be something underneath related to suspension, still havent found the source. Anyone else?

Originally posted by PBR
    The rattle is in the right rear quarter panel, the seat latch dosent seem to be the problem, could be something underneath related to suspension, still havent found the source. Anyone else?
    I have the EXACT same clunk in my right rear quarter panel when going over certain bumps. It is NOT the rear seat, the back door, or the jack handle -- I've tried them all. I thought someone had once narrowed it down to the rear springs not properly seating in the mounts. I'd like to try swapping the rear springs and shocks, left to right, to see if it makes a difference. I just never seem to get a round to it.

I need to have someone drive around a parking lot with that perfect speed bump so I can crawl around the back until I pinpoint the source. Too bad my grandson is only five, he'd love to drive the VX. And my two daughters have a life, so they're never around. Maybe when we're all at Hooters we can take spin around the lot and put this thing to rest! It's one of the few gripes I have about my VX.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

You got it the same thing I have, someone must have an answer, it obvously is a common problem, I am putting with the dealer next week to see if we can find it.

Ok , well let me ask you this....as odd as it may seem does this clunk seem to only happen in cold weather?

I have this odd issue where I get a clunk from the suspension but ONLY when it is cold out (30 degrees or below) as soon as it warms up the suspension seems fine and the clunk is gone!!!

Figure that one out
    Live Free or DIE!

I live in Florida so temperature not a factor

Not that it helps much, but I have the same issue on my 2000. It does seems to be worse when the weather is cold. Can't wait until someone figures it out.

Same noise here. After this winter I've noticed this noise coming from the back right rear quarter and my rearend seems to bounce a bit more so my assumption is that right shock had failed and making noise. I've already replaced front left shock as it had failed at 17 K ! So, not sure but there is a possibility that schocks are going on '99 models... just a thought.
    Andrey

Hey PBR, inquiring minds want to know:

Did you ever put your VX in the shop for the passenger side rattle problem? Mine has developed what sounds to be a similar (if not exactly the same) problem.

My VX has started to make a metalic "buzz" /rattle (like something is loose and is vibrating) at certain speeds somewhere inside the plastic covers in the interior of the passenger side. Its not the rear seat (its out), the spare tire area, or the lug wrench/jack components everyone says to look at as suspects. I ran a search on the board and it is obvious that this is common to alot of VX's. Just wondering if anyone has ever figured out what the heck it is?

I've tried not driving at those certain speeds...not a very good solution. Rob A.

Talking

sorry....but, If I lived in Texas and heard a "buzz"/rattle sound coming from my VX...I'd be thinking:

1) rattler!

2) who ya gonna call??? Maybe that Crocodile Hunter guy??

3) moving to Phoenix, Arizona where they only have "silent" tarantulas....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Has anyone ever found out other possible things that cause the rattling in the passenger side rear? My VX is doing the same thing and I was wondering if it was anything that would cause problems with driveability? Not to mention it drives me up a wall. Hearing that it could possibly be the rear spring not seating well makes me worry. That thing is under a lot of pressure and if it were to come flying out would definitely cause a lot of trouble.

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    This is a longshot but once I had a rattle coming from the back and it was the strap which hangs from the back of the passenger seat. It wasnt snapped in place and managed to make a rattlling sound as I drove at certain speeds.
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Clyde,
    If that rattle is when you hit bumps check your jack handle/lug bar. It is in the rear passenger side area and will rattle if loose. I put a piece of foam under mine.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

wow...and i thought i was the only one with this rear rattle....it happens when i hit a bump....IT'S THE REAR DOOR LATCH!

i was rear ended when my car was brand new (i only had 3,300 miles on it) i've had it back to the bodyshop, the dealer several times because of the ratte.

i tried all the suggestions posted above, pad on jack handle, the strap for the seat, seat hinges, rear door lock mechanism and riding in the back till i was ready to barf.

i tried putting some foam into the door wedge to snug up the fit...this helped a little...previously i had moved the door wedge forward but it still rattled.....

finally i tried adjusting the wedge again. this time i moved the top of the wedge forward and the bottom back. so it points down slightly. this helped alot!!! i still use a thin (1/8") thick piece of foam (cut gasket material) pushed into the wedge "reciever" and for the first time the rattle is gone....

stan