Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Squeek/Rattle Help

Question Squeek/Rattle Help

Finally got my '99 VX and it's a keeper! Fun to drive, runs well and I plan on keeping it for a long time. I have a squeek in the front and a rattle in the rear. (my wife initially thought I was addressing my sex life.) Anyway, crawled under and couldn't find anything loose, leaking or out of order that I could tell. Any suggestions? Could the squeek be the bushings thing that was a recent group buy on a thread? Rear rattle over even minor bumps seems to be coming from the passenger side rear. Let me know of your experiences, what you might check for and possible problem solving ideas. Any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks in advance. Steve

Glad to see you finally got your truck!!

There is two common reasons for a front area squeak;

#1) The rubber pads located on each side of the fenders supporting the hood can become dry and dirty, causing a squeak.

#2) The swaybar bushings that were offered.

The rattle could be one of the most common reasons, which is the rear seat backs. Fold them down and see if it goes away. If it does an easy way to fix it is to recline them just by 1 notch or more. For some reason, if they are in the full upright position, they can rattle.

See if that works...

Good luck with your new baby!!
    Scott / moncha.com

Re: Squeek/Rattle Help

Originally posted by sagwagon
    Rear rattle over even minor bumps seems to be coming from the passenger side rear.
    Just a thought... I noticed today when changing a flat freakin tire (first one I have EVER had to change on my own car in over 10 years!) that the lug wrench in the rear passenger side cubby hole could be rattling as it lays over onto the plastic panel. There is a little foam pad there that is probably supposed to keep that from happening, but mine is kinda dry-rotted... go figure... its only a few years old! Just a thought.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

Scott / Randy; Thanks for the tips. Just got in from a 440 mile trip to help a brother-in-law move today but will check those things out tomorrow. I'm on spring break this week (I'm a school social worker) and will enjoy having the time to become more acquainted with my VX. Randy, I think we need to have a mid-mo meet. Any interest? By the way, saw a white ironman heading on I-70 east near Effingham, IL today. I'll let you know what I find and if I have success on problem solving. Until then, if you or anyone else has any other suggestions, post away!

Originally posted by sagwagon
    Randy, I think we need to have a mid-mo meet. Any interest?
    I might be up to that sometime. Are you familiar with the ORV park around Columbia? I wonder if its JUST for motorcycles and stuff, or if its REALLY an OFF-ROAD VEHICLE park? Its been ages since I last went there, and so I can't recall what the deal is out there. Anywho... lemme know if you know of anyplace to go play in the dirt between there and here... heck, I'm not against a road trip... if theres something good out in the STL area, I just might come there. BTW, are you aware that your profile says St. Charkes? I assume you mean St. Charles, right? TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

I have the right rear rattle too, its not the lug wrench or the spare tire. It sounds like it is coming from inside the panel when you hop over bumps in the road. Anyone else have any ideas? Also have the whine in the rear at 60-70 mph, dealer replaced right rear wheel bearing, going to go after the left rear, hopefully that will get it. If not it must be differential.

I know it sounds silly but, did you lay your rear seat backs down?

Ya know, I have the same rattle too. More like a thud on the paasenger rear side when I go over just the right bumps. Not all the time. I thought about the tire iron in the cubby hole too and put a partial roll of paper shop towels in there but it still persists. I just chalked it off to one of those noises that come with a truck. I was also thnking about crawling under that side and looking at to gasoline filler neck/tube. It is in the right area and may be wiggling around enough to make a noise. I'll let you know what I find tomorrow.
    I tried to lay the seat down too. It doesn't seem to matter what position it is in.
    RichD
    ------------------------------------------------
    ...because vinyl just sounds better!

Originally posted by Moncha
    I know it sounds silly but, did you lay your rear seat backs down?
    Just curious what your talking bout Moncha... do the seats make a rattling noise if not laid back? I have heard a thud a time or two, but didn't think anything of it. I didn't hear it at all while off roading over the weekend, so I didn't think much about it when I first replied to this thread. Just curious.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

The front end squeak in my VX turned out to be the hood latch. When it's loose, the metal latch squeaks against the metal hoop.

As for the rear, check your back door latch. On the back door itself, you will find an adjustment wedge. Loosen it, slide the wedge forward, and tighten it back down. That should make the rear door close more securely.
    Return evil for evil to no one...as far as it depends upon YOU, be peaceable with all men. Romans 12:17, 18

Thanks I will try the wedge, it definetly is nothing to do with the seat or tools, if it is not the latch it is something going on in the right rear panel, I will keep you posted.

Leah; You win the cupie doll! It was both the front hood latch for the squeek and the rear wedge adjustment for the rear. Makes for a world of difference driving it. Many thanks to you and everyone else for their ideas! Having the support of members is great . Steve
    '99 silver over custom gray, 255/70/16 Yokohama Geolander AT 2's,

Leah, the door latch wasnt it, still got the rattle in the right rear corner, any more ideas?. It sounds like it inside the quarter panel when hopping over minor bumps.

I haven't had a chance to look at mine today. Maybe tomorrow.

Originally posted by PBR
    Leah, the door latch wasnt it, still got the rattle in the right rear corner, any more ideas?. It sounds like it inside the quarter panel when hopping over minor bumps.
    Wrap something around the loop on the floor for the rear seat, there is a little play between the latch and the loop. I did this and also added small bungee cords connected from the poles in the rear head rests to the small latches on both sides of the floor in the back, this cut down noise and rattles considerably in the rear.

I think I may need to adjust the rear door latch a bit too but am hesitant to mess with it. I also removed the spare tire and all jack stand components from the back as well. I don't work far from home and only take that stuff with me on long trips.

All of these things reduced noises for me big time in the back of my VX
    Live Free or DIE!