Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Rims from Isuzu

Replacement Rims from Isuzu

Hello All,

Add another one to the list of VX owners who have had their pitted rims replaced free of charge by Isuzu. After reading a post a few months ago regarding the rim problem, I noticed the pitting and peeling chrome on the inside of all 4 rims. I called my local dealer (Dom's Kia/Isuzu of North Plainfield, NJ) and told the service manager the problem. I was met with the same skepticism that most owners had received when they brought the issue to their local dealer's attention. But, thanks to the "Search" option on Vehicross.info and Clubvmag.com, I had printed a copy of every post having to do with this problem, complete with pictures. I handed the stack of posts to the service manager (with a picture of the pitted rims on top) and invited him outside to look at the rims for himself. There wasn't much he could say after that, and a 2 week wait, my new rims were installed Friday. (Which would have cost $1700 if they weren't under warranty) Thanks to all who posted about the rim problem, and I hope anyone who has to go through their dealer for rim replacement, has a smooth and hassle-free experience.

Ahhhhh, the power of the internet!
    Scott / moncha.com

how many miles were on the vx when this was occuring.

I noticed the pitting around the 13,000 mile mark. Then again, I didn't think to check until I came across a few posts alerting the VX owners to this condition. The pitting and peeling could have started much earlier.

where would be a good place to look for pics of the defective rims, so I can see and maybe show them to the dealer for replacement. Thanks.

Is this a problem with defective rims on only some VX's? Mine has about 65k miles and I've noticed a little bit of wear on the chrome, but nothing I would consider out of the ordinary.

Is this the type of thing that would be covered under an extended warranty?

believe they're covered for 12K miles... the 'damage' usually happens in the inner part of the rim. 'damage' ranges from chrome pitting (blisters?) to ugly scab-like bubbles. i've got an appointment w/ my dealer for wednesday - service dept mngr wants to take look at them. i've got about 6900 miles on this baby
    i'll keep you guys posted...

-jose
    2001 kaiser silver #1002

Originally posted by kpaske
    Is this a problem with defective rims on only some VX's? Mine has about 65k miles and I've noticed a little bit of wear on the chrome, but nothing I would consider out of the ordinary.

Is this the type of thing that would be covered under an extended warranty?
    Mine is a 1999 as well. The 99's for the most part don't have this problem.
    NAVIGATOR

I just had my rims replaced on Friday. All four of my rims were actually peeling on the inside. I've got 6,100 miles on my VX so I wanted to get it tended to while still under warranty. Thanks to the posts on this and the old site, it helped me explain the defect to the dealer, who ordered me four shiny new ones. Hopefully these won't do the same thing!!! Rob A.

I had my 18"s on until about 20,000 miles, then they were put into storage. Now with all this talk about this problem I went out to get them out and sure enough all 4 were blistered and peeling really bad. I would suggest if you are still under warranty to make sure (in other words take off your wheel and look at the inside of the rim) I'm going to try to take them back to the dealership, I'll let you all know what happens. I have 43000 miles now

Has anyone had their wheels replaced and then got the blistering on the replacement wheels too?

I've got 8100 miles and all 3 of my wheels are bubbling, and 1 wheel has chrome flaking. Guess it's a trip to my friendly ISUZU dealer! 2K1 1K2 what dealer do you have an appointment with?? Just curious.

hiss, got an apptmnt w/mancari's isuzu at orland park. nice guys.
    -jose

I just noticed this "flaking" the other day as I was polishing my rims. peices have fallen of about the size of a postage stamp since then. so far I have only seen it on one. Having bought the car used, I assume I still get the 3 year warranty. should I have the dealer look at it right away or wait to see if the problem gets any worse?

2K1 1K2, Mancaris Isuzu of Orland is where I purchased mine, thats probably where I'll take mine too. Let me know how it turns out. I don't have an appointment yet, I might just stop in there and have them check the wheels out , they are usually pretty cool to deal with...