Thread: looking for info

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

looking for info

Hello, looking to buy my first Vehi-Cross but I have some questions thats causing hesitation. maybe you guys/gals could help me get some answers.

What are the common problems and in looking at a used Vehi-Cross, what to look for?

What is the real deal with the oil cunsuption?

How good is the tranny?

I'm not the type to rebuild my own motor and i like the Vehi-Cross but i'm concerned it may not be for me.......I hope i'm wrong, this is one bad a## little SUV.

Thanks for your help.

I just bought mine 3 weeks ago or so, i love it! my annoyances with it are visability, the pain in the butt of the rear door (ive locked my keys back there a couple of times since the doors dont need to be unlocked to open it) and the lack of cupholders.

as far as problems, i had the problem with the windows coming out of the track which you can find plenty of info on here if you search, that was a quick temp fix with silicon spray until i find time to actually work on it. then my fuel pressure regulator acts up and the vx hesitates to start if its only had 45-60 minutes to cool down after running (but its never not started either)

there are a few other posts listing common problems with the vx if you just use the search function of the forum, good luck!

Arrow

The biggest design issue is the window problem which everyone gets eventually. Other than that it's a pretty solid vehicle built on good Isuzu truck thinking.

As far as the engine "stories", it's the same engine and drivetrain as in the Trooper, Rodeo and Axiom. The VehiCROSS got the same engines from the same production batches, they weren't specially constructed or designed for just the VX. So you're in the same service arena as the rest of the true Isuzu-built vehicles, which has a solid track record.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    You should pay close attention to the condition of the shocks, as the OEM shocks are wildly expensive to replace, and it seems to me that many VXs have had one or more of them fail over the years. Replacements vary in quality of course, depending on what people have decided to replace them with if they didn't put OEMs in there. Make sure you know what an OEM shock looks like (it has a remote reservoir assembly coming off the top near the upper mount) and what a failed shock looks and rides like when you look at VXs.

As for oil consumption, any mechanic will tell you that the amount of oil an engine burns is dependent on how hard the engine has been beat on by the owner, particularly during break-in. It is NOT an engine-design issue. Older engines burn more oil because they are looser and the rings are more worn.

Similarly, an engine that has been run up to the redline 10 times every trip to the grocery store will burn more oil than one that has been treated more gently. This is true of ANY engine - not just a Vehicross engine.

The complete engine failure that has happened to a couple of VX owners (generally foreshadowed by a HUGE jump in oil consumption) is a rare occurance, but is also possible with any engine out there.

Good luck shopping!

Dont forget the windows

Most, if not all, have a window binding problem. The clips that hold the window in place are poorly designed and tend to break. Which in turn causes the window to cock forward. Continueing to try to roll up the window while it is cocked will result in window breaking.

Alot of people have gone with after market shocks. Rancho makes some and the install is fairly simple. Most off road companies, or even Pepboys can change them out for a minor cost.

If your serious about buying, give me a holler. I'm in orlando and you can test drive mine (valid ID and proof of insurance required)

Should give you a feel for what you will come against.

Ttt