Thread: New Popper Kits - $24.95

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow New Popper Kits - $24.95

Found a site today that's offering complete popper kits for $24.95 or if you want heavy-duty $54.95, check it out...

$24.95 Popper Kit

Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Good find. You will also need to get the door popper spring that pushes the door open after the solenoid pulls the latch. A pulley also makes the kit much, much easier to install. And a GM factory trunk release button if you want a smooth install in the glove box. And a long pin switch to tie the back door into your alarm and activate the overhead light when you open the rear door.

thanks Joe! being in college.. ive been saving up for Tone's kit... but that one looks like it could be the way to go... a couple of questions... do you think the 15lb one would be enough for the rear hatch.. and two... id also need to get the door spring too, otherwise the rear hatch would just unlock and not actually open right?

According to the site the kit comes with the popper spring, but they also sell them separately for $19.99 a pair. The pulley is a common hanging-door part available at any home or hardware supply for about $4.00, although many have installed the earlier kits without using it. The release button will pop right out of the included bracket for a clean glove-box or center console install.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Listen to Tone... this looks a lot like what he must build his kits from! ;-)

You won't need a heavy-duty solenoid, as the latch mechanism is VERY light. The heavy duty solenoidss are for unlatching the side doors, which are a lot tougher.

From my experience, I would suggest you buy and install the extra door popper spring, since my setup (with the one spring Tone's kit provided) doesn't open if the VX is pointing even slightly downhill, or if it VX is parked across a slope leaning to the right, or...

I dont think this setup needs a pulley - I think that black tube-like thing at the top of the picture appears to be a "sleeve" that the solenoid cable runs through (working like the brakes on a bike). I might be wrong, though.

Tone is right about the pin switch, though... The other two reasons for installing the kit are to wire the rear hatch into the alarm system AND to get the dome light to come on when you open the hatch. Tone's kit accomplishes both of those things, this kit does neither.

Anyway, great find!!

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Of course, you can find that pin switch on the same site...

http://www.12vp.com/item_car_remote_starter_parts.htm

Tone, we found your source!!!

It's not my source but has essentially the same parts sans the pulley that I include and the $20 GM trunk release button. I just tried to get all of the parts together in a single package including all the wire, connectors and hardware.