Thread: Battery Replacement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Battery Replacement

And so the time has come again. This is my second battery in two years.
    The vx is parked most of the time, but I do start it up on regular basis. The last 8 weeks of temperature going up and mostly down finally killed my battery. The vx won't start. What is interesting though, it always happens very quickly. I doubt if there are any "leaks" since it was fine for this long.

Anyway... I am in a market battery so give me some ideas - what kind of battery do you recommend?
    My Other Ride Is a Puma
    www.mwior.com

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I think you will find a lot of "Optima Red Top" battery fans here. They are not prone to damage from harsh treatment (read: offroading) & keep going & going & going.....
    Another mod you might think about (if you don't mind resetting your radio presets), is a battery disconnect switch underhood so you can disconnect the batt. between uses.

Ldub

Arrow

I finally killed my Optima yellow-top after over 6 years of use and three different vehicles. It still works, just won't hold a charge for more than a week or so.

When I got my Dragon home from the dealer I pulled the OEM battery out and put in the Optima, which just got replaced with a new red-top Optima. My battery terminals look like the day I picked my VX from the dealership, brand new with absolutely now corrosion.

That's the beauty of the Optima batteries: They don't gas, corrode, can be mounted in any position (including inside a vehicle) and are extremely resistant to vibration and heat. I've got two of the new industrial Optimas coming for my Ford diesel farm tractors and just put a red-top in the diesel Mercedes I'm playing with.

There just isn't another battery remotely comparable, plain and simple.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Thx guys, now I know what I am shopping for.
    I guess Energizer battries are not so good as they whish...

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329

Cool Been running Optima Red for about 3 years ... no issues

The only issue I ever had was when I first bought it.

They did not give me the red plastic base plate.
    So it was hopping around a little for a few miles on my way back over to PepBoys. Walked in, told them what I needed and they handed me one.

Fit like a glove, has started perfect every day since... hot cold rain. It doesnt care.

Costco may still carry them, its not in the separate tire department, but inside the main store. I could have saved about $20-$25 if I knew where they were hiding them in the first place.
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets

Red top optima user here. I've had it for about 3 years now and no complaints at all. Starts right up every time without hesitation
    Live Free or DIE!

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    I had an optima red top, lasted about 1 1/2 yrs but I ran it down by driving to Austin from Dallas without the alternator working. I upgraded to the yellow top about a month ago, they said you can run the yellow tops down and it doesnt ruin the battery like the red tops. I would do the Optima.
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.