Thread: I've had it with this horrible Gas Mileage! Idea's?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Opps, I didnt read that part.

This problem accually just started to escalate shortly after I bought it. I origonally averaged 400-430 miles to the tank. Then I was starting to get 350-370, and you guessed it, I'm now averaging 275 miles to the tank.I was so proud that My VX was one of few that did get 20 MPG but i guess i forgot to knock on wood huh? Does that open a doorway to anything?
    '99 Vehicross - Daily Driver
    '93 Wrangler - Tank in Progress

Arrow

You may be having some issues with the venting/canister system. When I first took delivery of my new '01 Dragon I would notice a strong fuel odor after fill-ups until the tank was down to about 3/4 or more. Turned out one of the canister lines was pinched and damaged. After correcting the problem the smell stopped and my mileage went up a little. You may be having a related issue, like fuel in the canister from over-filling or perhaps just failure/degradation/damage.

That being said, our '99 IronMan that was purchased used with about 100K miles on it consistently gets better mileage than the purchased-new '01 Dragon.

Here's a web page with some general info on vehicle mileage, including some overview of the canister system and good methods for determining accurate mileage records: Fuel Mileage Calculation
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Anyone have any ideas on stripping the VX down a bit.... save some weight? What can we loose, but still keep it the same (kinda).

How about remove the box frame, lol!

I would start at the hood if they made a real carbon fiber one for it.

Another trick you might try is boosting your tire pressure up to 39lbs. It sounds too easy but it works if you can handle the ride. Your just reducing role resistance like with the brake caliper clearence suggestion.

Thats a really good idea however I have mine set to 35PSI but i will deffinatly put em up some more.

Anybody know if there is a way to adjust the pressure of the brakes while not stepping them?