Thread: I've had it with this horrible Gas Mileage! Idea's?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    One reason for crazy reving is an air leak. An intake or EGR air leak will cause it.

Well whatever it was, it was subsided by reseting the computer. When I put the filter on, I also took that elbow off. Thats why I figured it was doing that reving because the MAF sensor was getting TO MUCH air.

With my last car which was a VW Golf MK4. I put a cold air intake on it, when i did so the check engine light came on and it did the rev thing. I then just took the negitive side of the battery off to reset the computer and it stopped and the engine light came off. Never had a problem with it again.
    '99 Vehicross - Daily Driver
    '93 Wrangler - Tank in Progress

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Goalie, take a minute and review what was posted about how to calculate your mileage. You might have it right, but it really, truly sounds like you are calculating your mileage wrong and coming up with an incorrect (and way low) number.

Forget about the fuel tank capacity and what the fuel gauge needle says entirely - they have nothing to do with it, unfortunately. The tank gauge is not meant to be an gallon-accurate measurement (as the 11 gallon fill up your g/f put in at an eighth of a tank showed), and you cannot make any meaningful calculations with it.

There is only one accurate way to calculate your mileage:

1) The next time you fill up, zero out your trip odometer.
    2) The next time you fuel up AFTER that, divide the number of miles showing on your trip odo by the number of gallons you put in the tank on that second fill-up.

If you had it right, please excuse my presumption. If this is not the way you've been calculating your mileage, try it again this way.

Thats sorta simular to the way I have been doing it. I just drained my tank till it was getting to a dangerous low, fill up the tank, and zeroed the odometer. after I got the the end of my tank I calculated and got that number. I will try this next time around with noting how many gallons I put in and estimate from there.

the way your suposed to do it is...

1)fill your tank
    2)zero trip meter
    3)drive till empty
    4)fill tank
    5)divide miles on trip meter by gallons it took to fill

this is your actual mileage.

Aye, what spazz said is correct, however you dont really have to drive til empty, 1/2 tank, 3/4 tank... or so will also work. makes the process a lil faster not having to empty the tank.

true true