Thread: hood release

Arrow hood release

Can anyone tell me how to get the hood open when the hood release is not working inside my vcross. I cannot seem to find out how to open the hood from the outside. Help, I want to service my vcross.

I have the same issue and have for about a year now. I have to have someone pull the latch and another person to push and pull on the hood till it opens. The dealer estimated $300 to fix it and I said "!@#$ that!". Hopefully this spring, I can find some time out of work to fix it myself.

Good luck!
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Mine is on the verge, I normally have to pop it---(pull it up all the way there is no pop) 3-4 times before it finally opens.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

When you get it open, you should adjust those rubber bushings up so that it will pop it up when you pull.
    '99 Vehicross - Daily Driver
    '93 Wrangler - Tank in Progress

When mine had this problem I used a piece of pipe insulation wedged in the latch to hold it up while I ran to the front to lift the hood. I did this for several months until my next major service and then got the dealer to adjust it correctly. I tried to adjust the hood latch and rubber bumpers myself, but could never get it to work properly. My hood still doesn't "pop up" when I pull the lever and sticks just a little before opening. There is no spring in mine to initiate the lift. Is this a design flaw?
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

this is probably somethin youve already tried.. but when i took my dash off, i pulled the hood release lever out too.. when i put it all back together, hood wouldnt release, so took it apart again and realized the hood release actually can be mounted in different positions, so i pulled the whole assembly as far forward (towards the seat) as i could before tightening the screws, havent had any trouble since
    Last edited by etlsport : 04/08/2006 at 07:36 AM Reason: accidental submit

Talking My Solution. It Worked for me.

Had this same problem when I first bought mine back in Jan. When you ever do get it open, just spray some liquid wrench or WD40 on the latch and let it soak. then close the hood and pull the lever several times to break the old grease and grime that accumulates over time. Worked for me.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Lube worked for me too. You probably don't need an adjustment - especially not when it'll cost you a half hour at the dealer service rate! Road dirt gets in that mechanism and prevents it from moving freely, which is why it doesn't pop up when you pull the lever (in most cases). You just have to WD40 it every now and then. I've had to do this at one point or another on almost every car I ever owned.

Never forget the Golden Rule of Automotive Repair...

All you need to fix anything on a car is WD40 and duct tape - if it's supposed to move and doesn't, use the WD40. If it's not supposed to move and it does, use the tape. :-)

Arrow markb

Hood Release
    Still trying to get my hood release to open.
    I have tried some suggestions from this other vx's that had the same problem.
    Any other ideas before I damage the hood?
    Thanks for the help

Use an extension with a swivel and socket to remove the three bolts holding the hood latch ,then open the hood. you should be able to open the hood enough to release the mechanism. shawn
    1COOLVX

Merged the threads + a bump.. same subject..
    Scott / moncha.com