Thread: Transmission Fluid Questions

Question Transmission Fluid Questions

Hi all. I just purchased this vehicle and it's at 52,000 miles, so a bit early to do the complete fluid change. But I want to make sure my new baby has everything it needs to keep running for 152,000+.

I've read the various threads on tranny stuff and looked at Joe Black's excellent pix on how to perform a transmission fluid flush, so I'm pretty sure where to find the tranny fill plug. My question is, without a dipstick, how do you know when your fluid is low? And if you're trying to top it off, how do you know when is enough and when is too much? Aside from it spilling out, of course.

I don't know what kind of fluid is in there now (regular or synthetic) and if I need to top off, will it matter if I put synthetic in? I figured I should get a jump on changing over so put synthetic in now (if I need to) and then get the whole thing flushed in the next few thousand miles. This VX has been sitting for a while (only had 2,000 miles put on in the last two years) so will that make a difference?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Crawl under & look a the tranny pan...you'll see two "drain plugs". The one closer to the ground is the drain, the upper one (recessed into pan) is fill/check.
    Take her for a little drive to get the tranny up to temp. Park on some level ground, apply parking brake, put in park, let idle, crawl under & crack the ck./fill plug, remove slowly.
    There should be fluid coming out if it's full, if no fluid, get a hand pump from NAPA that screws on to the top of your favorite brand & fill it until there is over flow.
    Replace plug.
    I think most synthetics are compatible w/ regular ATF...a little label research should be done though.

Arrow

thanks, Ldub, for your prompt and helpful response. Unfortunately, BOTH Autozone and Pep Boys were out of the pump, so I'll have to wait a few days to try this. I'll let you know how it goes.

On the plus side, due to info I got from here in the forums, I saved myself the labor charge of replacing the serpentine belt and greasing my U-joints, so at least I got something accomplished today.

they also sell them at walmart, or any store that sells gear lube for boats.the pump is used to fill the out drive. just remove the end and it will work to fill the trans. shawn
    1COOLVX

A bit early to do a complete fluid change? Well PAST time to do a complete change unless you have the service tickets from the previous owner to show that all has been done. Synthetics are the way to go for sure - see your manual for specs and quantities.

Yeah, at first I was going to wait until the 60,000 miles but then I figured I should just do everything at once and get the piece of mind. The first thing I did when I got the vehicle was to get the oil changed over to Mobil 1. Mobil 1 in the transfer case and differential. Swapped out the serpentine belt and lubed the joints (whoo-hoo!) with Mobil 1 grease (need to get some of those greaseable bushings, it's on the list). Have an appointment at the dealership to get the tranny fluid changed tomorrow (also to Mobil 1).

I still think it's good to know how to check to see if it needs to be topped off, since what I understand from the info I've read here, you should check to see if the fluids need to get topped off a few days after you flush the system. This is my first 4WD vehicle so I want to make sure I take care of it properly.