Thread: Yet another window question...

Yet another window question...

Hi guys. I've read the threads about the various window fixes, but I need a bit of help in determining how best to trouble shoot whether my problem is in the switch, the motor, or the regulator. (or more than one of the above)

The passenger window has the typical binding problem, but the driver's side refuses to work at all. The controls for the passenger side work fine from both passenger and driver's side. The switch for the driver's side window makes a click, but nothing else happens. The driver's side window switch feels a little clunkier than the passenger switch, so I think it may be a switch issue but I don't want to buy a new switch if this isn't the problem. I tried swapping the passenger and driver's side switches and I don't even get a click with that. I know it isn't the fuse because both the passenger window and the driver's window are on the same fuse circuit.

How do find out if it's the motor or the switch, short of replacing the switch? I've never really used a multimeter before, so I'd need a bit of coaching here. Thanks all.

Well, didn't hear from anyone on this and decided to press on regardless.

Talked to Merlin @ St. Charles Isuzu and he said the motors and regulators fail far more often than the switches. So, since I had to take the door panel off the passenger side door in order to do the window spacing/guide lubing trick and fix that one from binding, I decided to do the following:

I dismantled the driver's side window and removed the glass, regulator and motor. Then, while I had the passenger side door panel off, I unplugged the passenger side motor from that and plugged the driver's side motor into it (Because I know that switch works). No reaction from the motor when I hit the switch, so I'm pretty sure at least the motor is bad. Have to put a new motor in to see if the switch is gone.

On a related issue, has anyone used motorcycle cable lube on the regulators? It looks like that would work pretty well.

I personally havent had my door panels off, drivers was fixed prior to ownership and passenger hasnt messed up yet

window lube

No don't use any grease lubricant. Look at recommendations in this club for the silicone lubricant spray yu buy in Pep Boys. It really works. I used it.Spray it on the tracks every couple of months.