Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Going to repaint to a non-stock color

Going to repaint to a non-stock color

The ebony I recently bought has considerable body damage to the hood and door and scratches on just about every other painted surface (looks like it went through a fence or something). Since ebony is my least favorite color combo (I really enjoy the contrast of a lighter color against the cladding) I am going to totally repaint my VX to a non-stock metallic orange used in some of the late model Audi's, as this color almost perfectly matches the red and black interior.

Does anybody want before and after pix?

of course...
    1999 Lotus VX Ironman Edition
    It's fun to rebadge...

Yep

Yep. It's your civic duty as a productive member of society to keep the people informed...etc.

Hell yeh we want the before and after. Plenty of pictures too with different angles and e'thang! Sounds like a great idea!!

Something like this?

That would be cool.

I'd love to see the after pics as we all now what the before looks like
    Live Free or DIE!

Luscious! There seem to be a lot of VX'ers with graphical talent (nice banner, CRYK!). Anyone remember the "Tijuana Taxi" model kit form the '60's? It showed that not every orange vehicle need look like a CalTrans truck ;-)
    Groovium :: Apple support & digital design

I was toying around with some oranges in Photoshop a while back and couldnt find one that worked for me. Seems like it kept making the VX look LESS unique, which was even more odd. I think I posted those pics here way back when.... somewhere. Just make sure you do some Photoshopping with it BEFORE you make that leap. $8k later when you have an orange VX and find it ISNT what you expected, it's tends to be a little late.

Not trying to bust your bubble, but I used to be a car painter as well and have seen people make these decisions, only to pick up their vehicle and go "Um.... not quite what I expected....".
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

`99 Astral #1889 (sold) | `95 Trooper TeraLows-5.38s-35s | `98 Acura SLX
    If you would like to ‘keep it in the family’, Isuzu offered a rather appealing shade of metallic orange on the 2nd Gen Rodeo and Amigo/Rodeo Sport…

There are several photos that really capture the luminance of the color in this thread at 4x4Wire.

Just a thought
    "This trail is so bumpy, it's knocking my bra straps off!" - Miss Kathy

You mentioned that the seats would match the paint you were looking for... I was doing some research on paints that match the interior and oddly enough, I found that Red Primer (Walmart) is pretty much DEAD ON!... I did some tests by (2000 grit) sanding the primer, then layering on some coats of lacquer clear coat. It worked VERY well. Of course I never used it on the real VX, it was for some of my Tamiya Model kits...
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Send me some of the photos.
    I think it will look great.

The Audi in question is apparently a one of a kind model, so I am having trouble tracking down the particular shade of orange I'm looking for. It is not that non-metallic Papaya Orange. I thought it was called Burnt Orange Metallic, but I called the Audi dealer and they said a metallic orange TT is a No Such Vehicle in their books. But then maybe it's NSV here in the states. The Audi I saw looked like it was brand new and didn't look like it had been painted, but not being an Audi fanatic I don't know everything about them.

I do know that this is exactly the color I'm looking for, or one very close to it. I don't really like red cars (tho I have to admit, that Foxfire Mica is a nice look for the VX, tho it is too berry/cherry to match with a red/black interior). I don't want white, or silver, and as I mentioned before, ebony is my least favorite color. I saw the orange Audi in question in a parking lot yesterday. I had already removed the door panels in prep for painting, so I drove one over there and held up the red and carbon fiber up to the Audi and it was a match made in heaven. The orange of the car made the panels appear a bit oranger (funny how that works). It was as if they were the same color, just one wasn't metallic.

Thanks for your concern WormGod, but I think I'm gonna be happy with this color. I am very partial to orange/black and yellow/black combos (yeah Proton is the color of choice, but couldn't find one I could afford anywhere near my location). While I know the orange/copper might make the VX look more common due to the popularity of the Murano/Element colors, I can be happy in the knowledge that I'll probably have the only orange metallic VX with a red/black interior around.

So, for now, since I can't identify this mystery Audi color, I'm going with a 2004 Nissan Imperial Orange Pearl Metallic. Tho since I don't have to choose a final on the paint until Monday, I might go with that Isuzu Copper Orange Mica that E Zoo Zoo One suggested. Decisions, Decisions.

Btw, while I have the interior and the cladding stripped to do the paint, I plan on doing alot of the of the mods suggested here, such as rerouting the alarm antenna, putting in a trunk popper (need to order one from Tone today), replacing stock speakers (any suggestions from you audio experts? I'd like something that bolts right in and doesn't change the stock look once the interior panels are back in place), and maybe setting things up for a rear view camera (tho that may be out of my budget at this time). I'll be happy to post pics when I get them.
    Last edited by WyldWeasel : 06/01/2006 at 09:48 AM

Thumbs up Go Amigo...

I've seen that Amigo orange on a 97 Amigo and it still looks awsome. Should look nice on a VX. Go for it
    NAVIGATOR

Is this the color:

Or was it this?

no it was this:

Orange Audi

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    I've seen that color on a '00 Audi S4 -it only looks good if it's clean (polished and waxed -heavily). It just dulls too quickly otherwise.

I do like the new crop of oranges coming up -the Nissan burnt orange especially.
    I think that it'll look good -even if you go with the Amigo Orange (read that thread btw -awful- thank God that I don't live in Mass.).