I'm working on converting an MR2 to full electric and have been toying with the idea of using a 1st-gen Trooper while retaining the 4WD. With the Trooper I could fab an aluminum safari-style shade (like on Series II Land Rovers) that housed PV panels for solar recharging to augment range.

In thinking about it I realized how to do the same for the VX. It wouldn't be TOD, but full-time AWD. You could, of course, switch between RWD, FWD and AWD with the push of a button. Regen is also an available option. In the conversion you'd remove essentially the entire drivetrain and fuel system, leaving only the axles. The AC would be electrically driven and the heater core replaced with an electric unit (instant heat!). Keeping it light would give about a 50 mile range with a full charge, and performance beyond what the ICE can deliver.

In any case, I'll likely fab a set of motor brackets to satiate my curiosity. So if anyone is interested in converting their VX to full electric I'd be interested in working with you.