Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Can We Do This ?

Nobody older than me- But I will pass on the beer as it tends to make me just a tad more agressive on the Trail.
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

Ok bout the beer guys, lets get on with VX fun, so who can do the mod cheaply. scratch that, inexpensively.

Inexpensive Beer for EVERYONE!

Originally posted by james1_10018
    Ok bout the beer guys, lets get on with VX fun, so who can do the mod cheaply. scratch that, inexpensively.
    That right! Inexpensive beer for EVERYONE!!

Except Dragon... You gotta do something about that aggresive thing . You're missing out on some good beer... hehe

The guy with the big Johnson is buying!! But you'll have to wait till I get my paycheck...

Ok, ok, no more Johnson jokes....

Glad we are all friends again...

MOAB, MOAB, MOAB!!!!

Question

Hey chey, where do you get all the cool smilies?
    The Bantan's Relm
    Gallery
    Myspace Page
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things we care about."

'01, Dragon Mica Green NO MORE, 1393 SOLD
    How about we get back on topic for the sake of the archives?

So, if someone were to pony up $5K for a custom dash, how much of that would be design/set-up and how much actual construction? If 10 people were buying the sme dash, how much would that reduce the average selling price?

Now this is from second hand knowledge. YMMV. Not valid with any other offer.

I imagine that once a working mold is created, fiberglass dashes can be produced rather cost effectively. If someone does the work and creates a nice working design, it can be fabricated over and over without the initial production labors (and costs). If coachreed (Randy) 's dash design goes over well, (and his idea of relocating the HVAC vents isn't that difficult) well HECK - we ALL might want his dash! I know I will (depending on cost of course ) I consider the dash design to be the weakest link in the car, i.e. the thing I'd like to see updated.

I guess what is most frustrating about the responses to this is that it appears those with the ‘solutions’ have not bothered to look at what it would take to move the HVAC controls or even the vents - it is just short of a monumental task not to mention the items that are behind there. All it takes is a peak behind the radio and you’ll see the main air distribution plenum, vacuum and mechanical linkages, and lots of main, expensive wiring harnesses.

I agree a screen imbedded on top would be extremely nice but I’m a realist and since no one here has ever done this kind of MAJOR modiification, it becomes the stuff of dreams and what ifs - pie in the sky. Instead of talking about it, start the project yourself and report back the progress - talk is cheap. Make it happen. Take some action.

Actually Tone, I already thought about re-routing of the HVAC system. Total mess and with the lack of room in the dash assembly, and makes working IN and AROUND just chaos. I remember working on my stereo and it was a small disaster JUST trying to route wiring. I had the ENTIRE dash assembly out and my garage looked like a dragon's colon, all full of crap. *sigh*

Dont get me wrong, ANYTHING can be done, with time, effort, and sure, a little money. As for getting a flip up or just indash mounted LCD in the dash.... whew, like Tone said.... pop some of your dash out one day and take a peek first. Working in there is like eating cat ****e with a knitting needle.

So, I take Tone's side on this one. It would be a great looking job.... but I wouldnt wanna do it, heh. Then again, money talks, and someone out there will always be willing to do it.... if the price is right.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Alpine has a cherry 7" widescreen LCD for about $350
    What? where? I can only find alpine for $800+

not anything 7" for $350, also on a side note...
    If i replace my stock stero with an alpine or panasonic will it be able to control the isuzu cd changer??

The answer for 95% of the possible replacements is NO. But, that is a good thing. The stock changer has one of the highest rates of failure of any component in the VX. Get a new changer (or mp3 hard drive) and enjoy not having to worry about the changer eating your discs (seriously, people have had to send their changers back to the factory to get their discs out and in many cases the discs have been badly scratched in the process).