Thread: Door Popper.....ARGH!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mocha,

Thanks for the response. As I've said before, I'm no electrician so I probably just glazed over the relay part of your diagram. What size relay should I get, and does it need to be wired to anything else, or does it just sit in-line between the dash switch and the solenoid? I'll also have to scape some paint off behind the solenoid mounting bolt to make sure that the ground is making good contact with the metal of the door.

As for the switch itself, it works like a charm. It lights up and dims with the other switches, and the red light on it even comes on when you press it. Now all I need is a second pin switch to activate the light when the rear door is ajar.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Sounds cool..

Just a simple 3 prong horn relay (usually 30amp) would work. On the included diagram, instead of a horn just pretend it's the solenoid.
    Scott / moncha.com

Monch,

The relay's are usually about a 1"x1"x1" cube right? Where is the best place to mount them (I say them because I'll need one for the fog light switch too)? It's a little crowded under the dash and it seems strange to mount them in the engine compartment. Where are the stock ones mounted? Maybe the new ones could go near there?

Thanks for all of the help so far.

Mark

You can get those, they'll be fine. I mounted mine in the driver's side footwell, behind the cover. There's just enough room.. And you'll find the OEM ones there too. As far as the relay for the fog lights I mounted mine under the hood as the relay and fuse came with the harness, I just modified it to fit the "Accessory box" idea.

Moncha,

Thanks so much for all of the help. I thought that this would be a quick install, but I guess I was mistaken. It's now taken me a few solid days of crawling around the VX and taking the thing half apart. Granted, I was being very careful, and very particular about running the wires so you wouldn't be able to see anything.

I thought that I saw the stock relays behind the driver side kick panel, and that's where I was going to try and put the new ones.

When I do my fog light install I plan on doing your accessory box idea, and I already have most of the parts. Now I just need some time that the VX can be laid up and not driven as I'm sure the lights will take me longer than the door popper. I have your instructions for installing the Mico DE's, but I got some lights with "Angel Eyes" and I'm sure the mounting will be a little different. Can't wait to jump into it.

Thanks again.