Well s we know I was having some problems with noise in the rear section of the VX. After being stumped and checking everything I decided to chnge the rear U-Joint. After a local search for the part came up fruitless I ordered one from Merlin at St. Charles last Tuesday. Was told 2-3 days and it would be at the door.
In the mean time while driving home from work Thursday the noise turned into a grinding/screaching noise. I made it home and parked the VX in hopes that the new U-Joint would be here by Friday for a weekend with the wrench. Well Friday goes as does Saturday with no part. Sunday I decided since I wasn't going to be driving the VX untill after I changed the U-Joint I'd go ahead and remove the old one in prep for when the new one arrived. Lessons learned...
Its much easier to work on the U-Joint with the shaft rmoved from the vehicle. My limited amount of tools didn't help. But a few sockets and a hammer and the job was done in a couple hours time. Now I'm just sitting and waiting for the part. Hopefully it will get here today so I can finish the job and see if it fixes the problem. If not I may have to take it to the shop...launch time for Moab is only 6 days away!
I have my fingers crossed! Right now my VXsits in the garage shaftless with the driveshaft apart sitting on the ground!