Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts on Toyota FJ Cruiser ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Any thoughts on Toyota FJ Cruiser ?

MSRP starting at $21K it looks reasonable. I still have to develop my "like"-"dislike"......

Any thoughts ?
    Andrey

I think they look good.
    However the interior looks cramped in the back.
    1999 Lotus VX Ironman Edition
    It's fun to rebadge...

I've heard and read nothing but good things about them, plus it's a Toyota. Was really excited to hear they were going into production, but became very disappointed now that I can't go down the street without seeing one. There must be 15 or 20 just here in town, and I live in a relatively small town.

The VX really spoils you with individuality.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

they look like crap IMHO.
    2000 Black VX 105k

Talking

I was just looking at two in the drive-thru lane which I can see through my office window and it occurred to me what they look like. Anyone remember that Disney sci-fi movie "The Black Hole"? There were a couple floating robots with retractable heads. The way the roofline is on the FJ and the round headlights make me think of those robots. Just had to share...

I saw a blue one yesterday. It was cruising up the road at a "hefty" speed. The way he was driving it, there will be minus one FJ here very soon. Anyways, it didnt impress me. I got the "wow" factor for a second, and then reality kicked in and I wasnt so impressed. It was a hideous light blue and then what came to mind was plastic patio furniture. Just looked.... cheap. But, it IS a Toyota, so it is probably a pretty rugged, reliable truck and will run forever if you take care of it. Priced to sell too.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I have never seen the Toyota JF Cruiser so I went to Toyota.com and did the 360 view of the cruiser. Looks to square. Like the Element. It would look better if streamlined like the VX.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan_VX
    they look like crap IMHO.
    I 2nd that. I really don't like the design. It looks too close to the H3 imo. Me thinks its kinda ugly, but the price makes it look a little nicer I suppose. I'm sure its a decent truck, being from Toyota. I was actually going to test drive one, but fate intervened and I found my sweet EB 2001 VX instead!!!

Bart

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Pro: As stated, it's a Toyota.

Con: It's offered in a 2wd configuration. This just betrays lineage, as if it's a Landcruiser in name only.

Probably relly good off-road but really goofy lookin.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    A buddy of mine bought one the week they started delivering them to the Boston area. He really likes his, and said that a VX owner would be right at home in one - sun-visor visibility out the front, blocked-by-the-spare visibility out the back, restricted access to the rear seats.

Actually, he said there is plenty of room in the back seat when the fronts are positioned for normal-height adults, and getting the kids' seats in and out is not a problem.

I like the design, myself - although it is a bit awkward. I saw a silver one on a Toyota lot today, actually. I really like the look of the long wheelbase and the high ground clearance. It looks like it would be VERY effective off-road.

My buddy got his L-O-A-D-E-D and paid sticker for it - around $28k, I believe.

I was thinking about getting one myself, but I won't now that he has it.

to be honest with you I have not seen personally on the street yet... I guess I should test drive one. The look is definitely "off" main road.. I might need another vehicle but going with Highlander or something like it does not excite me mutch...

Thumbs down didn't impress me in person

On my daily stop and go on the beltway I saw one the other day and in person just didn't like the looks at all. Also the light blue is just too light, looked more like a baby blue to me, but that's just my personal thoughts on it.

The cool thing is this: they were staring out at the VX as the PV2 gurgled past :-)

I've seen several on the road now, WAY more than the times I've seen another VX. I am sure it would be a decent vehicle, but just wasn't impressed seeing it up close.

im still on the fence, sometimes i look at it and love it, sometimes i hate it.. i see a blue one (but it looks like a darker blue than everyone it talking about) every day.. looks like itd be lots of fun on the trails... the driver usually looks frustrated in the city though... a month or two ago motor trend had a pretty good comparison with the FJ, H3, Xterra and Liberty.. might be worth checkin out.. of if you cant find it i can probably scan it in and email to you... might be worth lookin at the xterra.. i think the article said it was very similar to the FJ

Never really saw the attraction of it, but I do know people who are in love with them and I haven't had the heart to say I don't care for it. Having seen several on the road now, I think it has grown on me a little bit, but I still don't think the styling is anything to write home about.

Now an interior you could wash out would be cool. Honda Elements have it. I would never wash it though (think about it). It would just be alot easier to clean and vacuum than carpet.