Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Update on Morgan-tec S/C kit development

Update on Morgan-tec S/C kit development

Well i thought i would update you guys on the kit progress. I am almost done with all the machining, just need to cut the belt pattern in the crank pulley extension. Should be spinning a belt tomarrow and then i will start on the intake tubing, hoping to be blowing and tunning by next week sometime. Here are some pics of the prototype mounting bracket and pulley setup.

Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

Very nice, I can't wait to see the final results. Are you planning on selling these and if so what would a ball park guesstimate be for the cost?

Keep up the good work man!!!
    Live Free or DIE!

also, side-by-side performance comparisons to the Alpine would be nice as well.
    2000 Black VX 105k

Finally you put some photos up, I thought you forgot all about this project.
    Seems like changing the serpentine belt would be a royal pain and you would need to remove the SC bracket. Also, I see that you got rid off the mechanical fan assembly and went to electric?

Awesome! Keep it up. Makes me want to get crackin' on my VX now. I have been lazy and need to get the ball rollin'.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by volume311
    Finally you put some photos up, I thought you forgot all about this project.
    Seems like changing the serpentine belt would be a royal pain and you would need to remove the SC bracket. Also, I see that you got rid off the mechanical fan assembly and went to electric?

The serpentine belt on the Alpine s/c is the same way Volume311, the bracket still has to be removed to change it.
    "You can live your life in a thousand ways,
    but it all comes down to that single day,
    when you realize what you regret,
    but you cant relaim and you cant forget."
    ----Trans Siberian Orchestra

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Looking good!
    This is a nice alternative, these SCs can be picked up on EBay and parts are more readily available.
    Also, there looks to be the potential for intercooling here.

whats the price/performance ratio of these types of setups as compared to the alpine?

I'd guess that the hp/dollar factor is going to be nearly identical.

Each type has its own pros though.
    The Alpine is definately a slick, OEM style install.
    The Centrifugal unit is upgradeable.
    The Alpine is quieter.
    The Centrifugal sounds cooler.

I suppose that it's just a matter of preference.

The Alpine is CARB certified
    ________
    buy mflb
    Last edited by skunkworks : 02/02/2011 at 10:20 PM

Bah, Carb shmarb, I'm in florida

Okay lets see if i can answer some of these ?s.

1. I am planning on selling these but i need to fit it up on a local VX first. As for cost i am not sure yet, it all depends on if i can get dealer status with Powerdyne, plus i am still figuring mfg. cost on all the machine parts.

2. You would need to remove the main bracket to change the engine serp belt but, this is part of the beauty of this kit, four bolts and the entire thing comes off the engine. Less than 10min.

3. I chose the use the powerdyne BD-11a blower for a few reasons. First is that it is completly self contained, no engine oil, gear oil, or coolant needed. It is a silent drive unit which means it has its own serp belt inside it so you do not get the loud whine typical of Paxtons, vortecs or prochargers. It also uses a very agressive vein design that gives the best low rpm torque and power of any Centrifugal blower out there, this also means that the power comes on at lower rpms that typical for Centrifugal type designs. It will develop power later in the rpm range than the alpine but untill i get it done and on the dyno i will not be sure of the exact data.

4. It will not be CARB certified since i am using an HKS SSQV blow off valve that vents to atmosphere.

5. Intercooling could be possible but it is already tight so i am not sure if it would be realistic to try. Also since this blower has no internal or external lubrication the air discharge temps will not be much higher than naturaly aspriated.

6. It will be required to swich to an electric fan assembly to make room for the bracket, belt, and pulley. I did this swap over a year ago and am very happy, my temp is more consistant and lower than with my OEM mechanical fan. Plus the loss of the fans parasitic loss will help to offset the blower units.

I think i got them all, i will keep you guys posted, i am planning on having it running in the next week or two. Thanks for the comments and please feel free to keep asking ?s I am hoping that you guys come up with some i have not though of yet.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan-tec
    2. You would need to remove the main bracket to change the engine serp belt but, this is part of the beauty of this kit, four bolts and the entire thing comes off the engine. Less than 10min.
    It almost looks as if you could take the intake/exhaust hoses off of the s-charger and wiggle the serp belt past it without removing the bracket or the supercharger. You'd have to disconnect it's drive belt, but that's the easy part. Still very slick...

4. It will not be CARB certified since i am using an HKS SSQV blow off valve that vents to atmosphere.
    Even if you used a recirculating valve (as in all OEM turbo apps), and returned the vented air to the SC intake, you'd still not have CARB approval. It doesn't matter to many of us though. I only have to visit the sticker guy every 2 years...

5. Intercooling could be possible but it is already tight so i am not sure if it would be realistic to try. Also since this blower has no internal or external lubrication the air discharge temps will not be much higher than naturaly aspriated.
    If the air's getting compressed, it's getting heated. If that exhaust port on the compressor side of the charger can be "clocked" around to the 3 o' clock position, it'd be a simple matter of plumbing the piping down the driver's side, across the IC in front and up the passenger side (may have to move the battery) to the throttle body. Either way, it'd be an option, and not a requirement.
    I'm more wondering how your going to plumb the intake for the SC -it looks tight to the power steering fluid resevoir.

6. It will be required to swich to an electric fan assembly to make room for the bracket, belt, and pulley. I did this swap over a year ago and am very happy, my temp is more consistant and lower than with my OEM mechanical fan. Plus the loss of the fans parasitic loss will help to offset the blower units.
    Very cool, part numbers please?

I think i got them all, i will keep you guys posted, i am planning on having it running in the next week or two. Thanks for the comments and please feel free to keep asking ?s I am hoping that you guys come up with some i have not though of yet.
    Thanks for your work, I need to get hopping on my VX community service project as well.
    Oh, can you fab up a dual in/ dual out muffler?

If you wanted to go with a front mount intercooler then yes it could be done, and it would not really be that hard. As for the S/C intake the tube has to make a pretty tight 180 to come back forward and then the MAF and filter go right next to the stock air intake hole in the fender well. There is a spacer and bolt that would stop you from slipping the serp belt off the way you describe but the bracket is really easy to remove. My guess is that even with the fan swap the entire install should take less then 4 hours with a somewhat skilled wrench. As for the CARB, since this is so easy to put on it is just as easy to take off if you had to to go get the sticker.

AS for the muffler, pm me with the specs and i will get you a quote, i need tubing size and choice of stainless or steel.

Okay belt is on and i had it spinning tonight. Much louder than i was expecting but not crazy like prochargers. Intake tubes next week and then we hit the dyno for some tuning.