Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Starter dying?

Starter dying?....UPDATE

The starter is acting funny after a night of sitting, turn the key all I will hear is a click. After two or three tries it starts up though. I've also had it happen two or three times that it will start but the solenoid would not retract the gear and you can hear the starter spinning after the engine is running. Some times for 5 second sometimes for a good 30 seconds. It does start with out a problem though if it was driven earlier in the day.

I don't think it's the battery because there's none of that slow starting or whining. Should I just get a new starter?
    Last edited by volume311 : 06/02/2006 at 06:29 PM

This sounds more like your ignition switch is sticking to me, try spraying some lubricant/cleaner like a wd40 in the ignition keyway see if that helps. May want to let it air dry a bit before you attept to start afterwards though to let the wd40 evaporate some. You may have to remove the ignition to really get the cleaner where it needs to get. Do you have remote start on your car by chance? If so does it do it then also?
    "You can live your life in a thousand ways,
    but it all comes down to that single day,
    when you realize what you regret,
    but you cant relaim and you cant forget."
    ----Trans Siberian Orchestra

I dont think its the starter though since its only doing what its suppose to do when there is 12volts going to it. The problem is going to be a relay/ignition problem I believe.

EDIT: sorry misunderstood I think, rereading it you mention the starter is not retracting. Now that I read it paying attention this time, if the starter is just free spinning and not retracting then yes its definatey the starter when could probably be cleaned and lubed and be just fine. However if its not disengaging because its getting 12v still then my other suggestions stand.

Cleaning/lubing the starter? I'll look into that. The ignition isn't sticking, sorry for that poor explanation, I really wasn't sure how to pose the question. Couldn't really explain it properly. When the starter failed to retract I turned off the engine and started it back up several times before it actually retracted properly.
    But that only happend twice. Now it is mainly that I when I turn the key there's a *click* the solenoid popping the starter out and nothing, try it couple more times and it fires up.

I am kinda confused on why it'will take several tries to start initially, but starts right up later in the day after being driven. I will video tape the shenanigan tomorrow on my cell phone and post it.

I thought maybe the solenoid is on it's way out or maybe something in the circuit is losing it's legs like the ballast(don't even remeber what that does)?
    Last edited by volume311 : 05/30/2006 at 09:08 PM

Volume, k, it sounds like the plunger is sticking, probably due to road grime etc. Take some carb aerosol cleaner, spray the plunger, spring, etc down real good after you have taken it apart. Apply a light layer of silicone grease to the inside sleeve, should work good as new again.

Ok , I went ahead and got a "new" to me starter from a salvage place and threw
    it in.

I opened up the "bad" starter and I am pretty sure i could've gotten away with just replacing the contacts in the solenoid. But since the plunger did stick, a coat of grease would be necessary too. And now I just found this site http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/starter/index.html. The solenoid assembly from that Toyota is almost identcial to the Isuzu one.

So if you're having a problem where starter will click and not turn over until a couple more tries, give this a try first before dropping $$$ on a starter. Mine only cost me $80 but the new one's from isuzu are +$230.

This is exactly what has been happening to me. How can I get at the plunger to clean out without removing the starter?

'01, Proton Yellow, 1028. '01, Gunmetal Metallic, 1033.
    Yup, same problem pj and no, you'll have to get the starter out...patience and nimble fingers and you'll have it out, no sweat. OK, maybe a little sweat and some skun knuckles and a few choice curse-words but you'll get it out and on the bench.
    Vixer Fixer

exact same thing happened to mine - it was the starter - brand new bosch starter i got mine for $140 i cant remember where from but this is what it looks like:

http://www.autopartsnetwork.com/isuz...FexDMgodB1MA-w

Is there any tricks to getting this puppy off. Or am I in for a fun night all together.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Before removing starter...

...try hitting starter casing with a hammer.

Not full on destructive hitting..but more than a tap....

This often works to free up plunger/bendix etc.

Jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There are no tricks to it. I wish there were. I wasted a bunch of time thinking I could go through a wheel well and no dice. YOu have to drop the exhaust and just dive in. The only helpfull tip I wish someone would have told me is that it was a bit easier to twist the starter upside down to get it out (after disconnecting the wiring of course). This goes for install too. Make sure you order new exhaust gaskets too before you do the replacement because yours will crumble apart once you undo the exhaust....OK, make that 2 hints I wish I had known.
    The only good varmint poontang is dead varmint poontang...I think .

i just paid my exhaust guy $75 to do it all for me (labor and new exhaust gaskets) - if i thought i could have done it myself without ruining something else and driving back and forth to the auto parts store 5 times i would have

Just broke down an took it to the shop next door to mine. Since he couldn't even find the vehicross on his computer he just charged me the labor rate for a trooper since I had the new starter. Almost feel bad for the guy lol

130 and they had it in and out in under 2 hrs. Having a lift must be nice... Lol