Thread: Electric fan in front of radiator

Question Electric fan in front of radiator

Hey Everyone-

I've been doing lots of searches and have been reading up on different reasons why some of our VX's can run hot. I just want to make sure I'm straight in my thinking after reading several older posts.

1. Is it correct that the electric fan that's just behind the grill is the A/C Condenser fan and that it should always come on when the A/C is running? Mine doesn't come on (A/C running or not).

2. I also read that this fan really isn't designed for engine cooling purposes and that it only aids the A/C. Is this true?

I live in hot Phoenix and my VX is now 6 years old. I've noticed that it's starting to run hotter than it has in the past. I've had my cooling system flushed, added new coolant and cleaned my radiator from any old bug guts and such so I'm looking for other causes. I guess I'm wondering if the fan in front of the radiator not coming on is contributing to my engine running hotter.

In addition, I just drove back from LA a couple of days ago. It was around 105 out in the desert. There's a long uphill grade coming out of Indio, CA. For the first time while making this trip, I had to turn my A/C off as my temp. gauge was getting pretty close to the "H". After that, I watched the temp. gauge like a hawk and could see it fluctuate depending on uphills, downhills, and the flats. I was wondering if this fluctuation is normal.

Thanks in advance for any answers,
    - s a i n t -

The electric fan you are referring to is important for the AC to remove heat from the freon AND to help cool the engine while under the extra load of the compressor running - it turns on when the compressor turns on. The main fan sucks air through both and the electric one blows towards it. It may not be the fan but the relay/fuse that controls it - check those first.

Sitting in hot traffic or going up long grades in hot weather will certainly make it run hotter - make sure you have the proper antifreeze mix and I also run Water Wetter from Redline that seems to lower temps a bit, but most all modern engines water runs around 200 degrees.
    Last edited by Tone : 06/02/2006 at 01:16 PM

Thanks, Tone, I'll check those fuses/relays. I'm assuming the fan should come on the instant I turn on my A/C.

If it continues to run hot, I'll try the Redline product.

As always, your help is much appreciated.

- s a i n t -

I just went out and tried it now that my car had been sitting awhile. I started the car with a/c off-----no fan. Next (with the car running) I pushed the a/c button----still no fan. Finally, with the a/c button still pressed, I turned the fan slide switch on. I went out to check the fan, to my surprise no fan. I had enough time to think "hmmmm" then it kicked on, which is when I also heard a click, much like the compressor click. Soo, I am thinking if the compressor is running then this fan is running...I didnt run it long enough to watch a off cycle. If you need me to just let me know.
    "You can live your life in a thousand ways,
    but it all comes down to that single day,
    when you realize what you regret,
    but you cant relaim and you cant forget."
    ----Trans Siberian Orchestra

Thanks for the info. I actually noticed the same thing. There seems to be a slight latency before the fan kicks on. Mine does the same thing. Not sure if it was fine all the time or if it helped to pull out the relay and resnug it back in. Could be that I just didn't wait long enough last night.

If you get a chance to notice if the fan cycles off with the compressor, it would be helpful. I'll do the same and report back too.

Appreciate your time!

Happy VX'ing!

- s a i n t -

do as I did and install a second larger "auxillary fan" beside the stock electric fan

run it to a switch..then when you are running hot turn it on at will.

I switched to an electric last year and have had no issues at all, the Axiom actually seems to run cooler. Do a search i posted a thread about it with pics a while ago.
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com