Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: '01 Proton Abandoned

'01 Proton Abandoned

I just spoke with the service tech at Denver Isuzu (my baby is in getting A LOT of maintenance work, and some warranty work done) and he said that there is an abandoned '01 Proton there at the dealership. He said that the owner brought it in for service and then never picked it up and stopped making payments on it. When that happened it reverted back to Isuzu (I think they where the lein holder) so now it's just sitting there. He said that Isuzu will sell if for what the guy owed on it just to get if off of their hands.

Todd (the service tech) doesn't know what it owed on it, but he'll find out by Monday. It's got 66,300 miles on it. I'll be there tomorrow and will take a look at it so I can report to anyone who might be interested.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.

Whoa!

Seriously?

Wonder what he/she owed on it?

What a strange way to part with any vehicle...

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

p.s. thread hijack...

mark, give me a ring tomorrow when you pick her up. plans have changed again, and it looks like i WILL be avail. for lunch...

sorry for the confusion. sheeeets crazy around here.

-biju.

that is very interesting, but I would imagine if it were a really good deal an employee would snatch it up
    "You can live your life in a thousand ways,
    but it all comes down to that single day,
    when you realize what you regret,
    but you cant relaim and you cant forget."
    ----Trans Siberian Orchestra

Depends on what the deal is... I might be lookin for a little brother
    Scott / moncha.com

I'll take a look, and take some pictures if they'll let me get to it and report back later.

I might be interested....
    Andrey

I bet the guy paid full MSRP and like many before him ended up really regretting it. I'm betting that he was underwater on the loan - and if Isuzu's asking price really is the remaining balance on the loan, its going to be above market value.

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Isuzu (if that is in fact the leinholder -which I doubt) only has one option if someone doesn't pick it up.

They'll be forced to drop it at an auction, for whatever they can get. I suppose they'll try to go after the original purchaser for the difference afterwards.
    By abandoning the vehicle, he's lost all right to demand a fair price. The leinholder could sell it for a dollar if they wanted to. It's still his responsibility to pay for it.
    Offer to take it off their hands for $10 or $12k maximum. I'll bet they jump on it.

Another thought -if the guy can't pay his bills, what kind of shape is the truck going to be in..?

yea anyone who would just leave any car isnt the kind of person who would take care of said car.... especially something as rare and unique as a proton, and the VX is a car that requires extra TLC.. doesnt sound like this guy would give normal care to a car

.. although theres also the possibility that he didnt want to leave it there.. (God forbid) a tragedy or something..

crazy...

Went with MSHardeman today to the dealership to take a peek after lunch... well, taking a *peek* is relative... We could only see it from a distance as they wouldn't let us get close to it in the back lot cage. (bizzare...)

I'll let Mark give more details on the situation - but I need to say this:

A terrible sight it was - seeing this beautiful VX caged, aging, dirty, and surrounded by a knee high jungle of weeds. Just sad...

-biju.
    Last edited by biju : 06/05/2006 at 06:34 AM

biju is right, it was quite a sad site.

This is what I have found out so far....
    The Proton is caught in the middle of some kind of divorce/separation. I think the owner brought it in for service TWO YEARS ago, and has yet to pick it up. He/she is paying a storage fee while the Proton sits in the dealers back lot. The manager that we talked to said that it wasn't for sale so we couldn't go see it.

I'm going to call the service tech that originally told me about it to see if I can get any more information out of him. Maybe we could call the owner and talk to them directly. It's costing them $35 a day to store it, so maybe they'll want to get rid of it. We'll see.

The only problem, as stated above, is that it's been sitting there for two years. Not good.

I'll update when I get more info.

`99 Astral #1889 (sold) | `95 Trooper TeraLows-5.38s-35s | `98 Acura SLX
    Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman
    ...It's costing them $35 a day to store it
    $35 x 365 days x 2 years = $25,550 (and counting!)

That sounds like one very nasty divorce, with an innocent Proton VX caught in the middle
    "This trail is so bumpy, it's knocking my bra straps off!" - Miss Kathy

$35 A DAY to store it? No wonder the stealership doesn't want to sell it! Two years at that rate would be over $25K!

Update

First off, the sales people have no clue what's going on. When I was there Saturday I was first told that the Proton had been picked up. While we (myself and the salesperson) where walking out to take a look at the silver '99 that they have, the Proton caught the corner of my eye at the back of the lot. She quickly changed her story and said that yes, it was there but it wasn't for sale. Gotta love sales people.

When biju and I talked to the floor manager he said that the car was in the middle of some separation thing and that they where just holding the car....for $35 a day (that should have been a red flag that something was amiss)

The service tech that I've been dealing with said that the sales floor has no idea what is going on with the Proton. As far as he knows the guy who dropped it off is a little off his rocker and just stopped making payments on the car. Isuzu of North America is the lien holder on the vehicle, and would probably want to get rid of it for what is owed plus part of the storage fee (up to about $2000 now). The tech is going to find out as much as he can about the VX, what's owed on it, and what the whole deal is in general. He's supposed to call me back Wednesday (06-07-06). I'll post up what I find out.