Thread: General questions...and finally my intro.

Cool General questions...and finally my intro.

Hello all,

This is my first real post on the forum since i've been here, nearly a year now. Just as most of you, i bought my 2001 VX used.... since it came out in 99 i had wanted always wanted one, and finally made the purchase last summer. I have had to have my transfer case replaced about a month after buying it. thankfully it was still covered under isuzu's warranty at the time. since then i have had a little "whirring" sound coming from the transfer case...wondering if that is normal or not?? another grief i have had with the vehicle is a loud screeching noise coming from the back tires after applying the brakes for any lentgh of time..especially going down hill....i have had the brakes cleaned and replaced. the noise went away for a month, but was back again when i was braking on a hill. the noise goes away after a while of driving under straight and level conditions, but comes back after braking. It has me really stressed. Also, one other little quirk about the VX i don't know is correct or not, is clanking sounds when shifting say from PARK to DRIVE..i could use some help with that because i would like to get it fixed if it isn't normal. I have have my transmission fluid flushed and changed. As some may already know, but just want to put forth something i learned after buying my 2001 VX is that the 10 year 120,000 mile powertrain warranty is good only to the original buyer of the 2001 VX vehicle, after that its only 5 years and 60,000 miles. Learned it straight from isuzu when i called after buying my VX. Its been the most enjoyable car i've owned thus far, and is my daily driver. i've put 19,000 miles on it so far in less than a year and the only thing major with it has been the transfer case. I have kept up with all the maintence needed and directed.

I look forward to comments and suggestions for my little "problems" Thanks!!
    James

Welcome aboard

Does your receipt say what the actual problem was with the transfer case and why they replaced it?

I find that a little whirling noise is normal in the VX due to the drivetrain and TOD set up. It has also been noted that a little clunking around is normal. I have it and I hate it but according to some that's just the way it is.
    Live Free or DIE!

Thanks for the response. I looked for the work order that was done for the transfer case, and i didn't get one. i have one for the other work that was done on the car at the same time, but not the transfer case. I remember signing the work order though and seeing it, but like i said it was covered under warranty by isuzu. The cost of the transfer case was $2,000. and they gauranteed the new transfer case. The only "symptom" that preceeded the transfer case change was that the center consoul would get very hot, hot enough to keep coffee warm..lol.

Look forward to other responses..glad i'm not alone with the clunky sound when shifting....looking for input on brake noises too.

Thanks!!

Whirring

I've had my 2000 Foxfire VX for about a year now, and I've also concluded that the whirring and clunking is normal! For me, I've been able to minimize and even eliminate the whirring sound with the right amount of tire pressure in each tire. I've had a slow leak in one of my tires since I bought the VX and the whirring serves as a reminder to put some air in that tire when it starts again. Just my 2 cents!

Mikey-

i dont want to take over the tread, but about the "warm center console" i picked my fone up from the cup holder, and it felt like it had been in the sun, but there is alot going on under there, so i imagine some heat is normal.....right??? i didnt get burned or anything, and no animals were harmed..............
    thanks,
    david

hot consoul & tires

Hello!

about the hot consoul, when i mean it was hot, i mean it was hot...like touching something that was in the sun i suppose, but quite simply, it was hot to the touch. Since then the consoul only gets slightly warm in the summer, like now, and stays relatively cool in the winter, and i have the whirring noise now, which i didn't have before the transfer case repair. the dealer said that a previous owner must have had 4 wheel drive low on frequently when it wasn't suppose to be engaged. I know for a fact i'm at least the 3rd owner of my VX. so anything is possible.

about air pressure in the tires, i keep mine at 32, cold. i think, and some mechanics i have talked too agreed, that the recommended 29 is too low...but what is everyone else running theirs at??

Thanks for the input!!