Thread: nice car headunit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

WEAK! LAME! I guess its just not there yet!

OK, so I was all excited and wanting more info. So I emailed their tech support, which was SUPER fast I must say. Here is what I asked:

"Hello, I am seriously interested in your RDS-634U head unit with USB port. However, I would like to know a little more about how this device works.
    I would like to be able to plug in an external laptop size hard drive enclosure with at least 80 GIGs of MP3 files stored on it. Can the RDS-634U read external hard drives and catalog the MP3s properly? Also, most laptop size external hard drive enclosures are powered by the USB port and do not need external power from an A/C adapter. Will this unit be able to power an external hard drive as well?

Thank you for your time."

And this is their reply:

"Bart,

Our USB unit has power for USB 1.1 but not enough to power up 2.0 USB.

It will read up to 249 tracks on the USB/SD input. If you have more than that, the unit will not see them in your hard drive.

Thank you for choosing Boss Audio product."

Wow, I haven't felt this let down since I saw The Matrix 2 and 3.

Now I know why it is only about $100.

Bart

oohh.....i didnt know about that part. 250 songs. might as well get a unit that plays mp3's off cdr......i'll keep searching.......kenwood has the music keg, but only to 40 gig i think......good idea but i want my whole collection in my car......wifi in the car?....definetly thats why theres the carputer......i wonder if an vx'ers put a pc in the car.....its nice and all to climb a mountain at a 70 degree angle but be able to enjoy the entire discology of 311, limp and fugees at the same time would be amazing

Well, you should look at this unit in the interim:

JVC KD-DV5100

Or any of the JVC "Giga MP3" players. I keep about 10 DVDrs in my VX and man, let me tell you, this is A TON of music. You can fit several discographies on one DVDr.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by 9tinyfingaz
    oohh.....i didnt know about that part. 250 songs. might as well get a unit that plays mp3's off cdr......i'll keep searching.......kenwood has the music keg, but only to 40 gig i think......good idea but i want my whole collection in my car......wifi in the car?....definetly thats why theres the carputer......i wonder if an vx'ers put a pc in the car.....its nice and all to climb a mountain at a 70 degree angle but be able to enjoy the entire discology of 311, limp and fugees at the same time would be amazing

well the "music keg" has a, which i believe to be a built in 2.5" drive shouldnt be too hard to replace if u find one tats out of warrenty or dont care bout it.

`99 Astral #1889 (sold) | `95 Trooper TeraLows-5.38s-35s | `98 Acura SLX
    Overall, it's a pretty cool head unit.

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    Wow, I haven't felt this let down since I saw The Matrix 2 and 3.
    Aww, c`mon… just the delivery of that one line from the Merovingian about the beauty of cussing in French was alone worth the rental fee!
    "This trail is so bumpy, it's knocking my bra straps off!" - Miss Kathy