Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: nice car headunit

nice car headunit

http://www.akihabaranews.com/news-11...rom+Korea.html

not bad if i do say so myself. whats everyones opinion. "hi-tech VX"

Good find. Others have been slow to offer that yet. I have the Pioneer AVIC-Z1 which has a Bluetooth option but it is double din. Pioneer's single din DEH-P980BT has BT built in (voice dial, autoanswer, streaming) as well as great iPod support but I don't have pricing on it.

Parrot makes some great stand alone BT phone interfaces for about $200 that allow input to many stock radios - we sell quite a few of them. And they are about to offer a BT radio themselves.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    yea but all i wonder is what type of soundcard would u have to deal with? probably nothing thats too amazing. thats the main point of a stereo anyways is for sound quality. look at eclipse if you wanna get some kick *** stuff. look at the CD4000 and CD5000 lines. they are both amazing stereos. with build in nav without a color screen in a single din unit....

i like the nav idea in that eclipse. but the idea of having usb on a radio and a 500gb harddrive under seat. mp3 heaven.

WOW! I was just talking to a friend about having a head unit with a USB input! That is awesome. I can't believe it is here already! When does it come and where can I buy it???

Thanks for the link!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by 9tinyfingaz
    http://www.akihabaranews.com/news-11...rom+Korea.html

not bad if i do say so myself. whats everyones opinion. "hi-tech VX"
    Last edited by nfpgasmask : 06/16/2006 at 02:24 PM Reason: addition

Now, if it had USB and WiFi, you could park in your driveway, and log onto your home wireless network. You could then sync your RAID drive in the center console to your home music server.

John C.

Now you're talking! Here is my thing, I waited and waited for someone to make a head unit that could read MP3s off DVDr, and JVC did it. So now I can play 4.7 GIGs of MP3s from a DVDr which is awesome. BUT, then I had the idea of a head unit with a USB 2.0 port so I would be able to plug in an external hard drive enclosure with a 100 GIG laptop drive inside full of MP3s. Now, I need to research this BOSS head unit. If it can read AND power an external laptop drive full of MP3s I will be buying one of these unit FOR SURE. My problem is that in order for this to work, the unit will not only need to be able to read and catalog at least 80 GIG of MP3 files, it will also need to power the drive.

And of course, you iPODers out there are saying, just buy an iPOD! Sorry, but I want nothing to do with Apple or these ugly little devices.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsauce
    Now, if it had USB and WiFi, you could park in your driveway, and log onto your home wireless network. You could then sync your RAID drive in the center console to your home music server.

John C.

WEAK! LAME! I guess its just not there yet!

OK, so I was all excited and wanting more info. So I emailed their tech support, which was SUPER fast I must say. Here is what I asked:

"Hello, I am seriously interested in your RDS-634U head unit with USB port. However, I would like to know a little more about how this device works.
    I would like to be able to plug in an external laptop size hard drive enclosure with at least 80 GIGs of MP3 files stored on it. Can the RDS-634U read external hard drives and catalog the MP3s properly? Also, most laptop size external hard drive enclosures are powered by the USB port and do not need external power from an A/C adapter. Will this unit be able to power an external hard drive as well?

Thank you for your time."

And this is their reply:

"Bart,

Our USB unit has power for USB 1.1 but not enough to power up 2.0 USB.

It will read up to 249 tracks on the USB/SD input. If you have more than that, the unit will not see them in your hard drive.

Thank you for choosing Boss Audio product."

Wow, I haven't felt this let down since I saw The Matrix 2 and 3.

Now I know why it is only about $100.

Bart

oohh.....i didnt know about that part. 250 songs. might as well get a unit that plays mp3's off cdr......i'll keep searching.......kenwood has the music keg, but only to 40 gig i think......good idea but i want my whole collection in my car......wifi in the car?....definetly thats why theres the carputer......i wonder if an vx'ers put a pc in the car.....its nice and all to climb a mountain at a 70 degree angle but be able to enjoy the entire discology of 311, limp and fugees at the same time would be amazing

Well, you should look at this unit in the interim:

JVC KD-DV5100

Or any of the JVC "Giga MP3" players. I keep about 10 DVDrs in my VX and man, let me tell you, this is A TON of music. You can fit several discographies on one DVDr.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by 9tinyfingaz
    oohh.....i didnt know about that part. 250 songs. might as well get a unit that plays mp3's off cdr......i'll keep searching.......kenwood has the music keg, but only to 40 gig i think......good idea but i want my whole collection in my car......wifi in the car?....definetly thats why theres the carputer......i wonder if an vx'ers put a pc in the car.....its nice and all to climb a mountain at a 70 degree angle but be able to enjoy the entire discology of 311, limp and fugees at the same time would be amazing

well the "music keg" has a, which i believe to be a built in 2.5" drive shouldnt be too hard to replace if u find one tats out of warrenty or dont care bout it.

This one has been around for a while:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009MZ7P2

Even plays Vorbis, and I think FLAC too.
    But read the user comments, you probably don't want it.

You know how they say "You get what you pay for..."? Well this better be really good then! Check out the In-Car PC.
    http://www.icontv.com/pages/catalogPG.htm
    You could outfit your VX with media equipment costing more than the VX was when new!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

http://store.karpc.com/cgi-bin/cp-ap...od&ref=bundle1

fully spec'd out without windows. about $1800. Thats not bad considering the possibilites you can do. even if you get it with a smaller harddrive and buy a 120gb from CompUsa (a little self promoting) it will be great. And that way you can mount a TB hard drive under your seat with avi's and mp3's no need for cd's or dvd's. hhhmmmmmmm. interesting.

now that is interesting, but will it play EQ2? lol
    "You can live your life in a thousand ways,
    but it all comes down to that single day,
    when you realize what you regret,
    but you cant relaim and you cant forget."
    ----Trans Siberian Orchestra