Thread: off roading

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

off roading

I'm going to be doing some major rock crawling/off roading with my vx. Besides the lift kit from calmini, is there anything else available? plus, will the drivetrain handle it or should I look to more aggressive gears? what's available......

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    PM Triathelete -he's in your neck of the woods and has taken his VX just about everywhere worth going.

You will find it to be exceedingly capable with nothing more than a set of good tires.

What trails you planning on hitting? I have been on almost all the trails in the Tucson area, some in Florence, a few near Surerior, Moab and probably some I've forgotten.
    OME912 springs out back and torsion bars tweaked in the front. Running 31x10.5 MTR's. Trooper skids underneath. Works very well until I can afford to change a few more things! Next up will be more protectioon...front and rear bumpers, rock sliders and better skids will be next. Then a 4 link SAS when I hit the lottery to go with some 35's when I hit the lottery.
    Let me know when your going out and I may be able to join you.
    Your VX wasn't the Ironman with the electrical problem in the shop at Royal Zu about a month ago was it?
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by homer
    I'm going to be doing some major rock crawling/off roading with my vx. Besides the lift kit from calmini, is there anything else available? plus, will the drivetrain handle it or should I look to more aggressive gears? what's available......
    What do you consider "major rock crawling/off roading"? I take my VX on harder trails than most but I don’t think of it as “major”. The reason I ask, is that for what I think of major, you will have to take your VX a step beyond what Swordy, Spaz, myself and a couple of others have done. Hardcore trails are just that, body damage and breakage likely. I have a Jeep for that kind of stuff.
    Todd

Presicely why I asked what trails he was planning on doing...everyones idea of extreme is differant. When I first started going off road the trails I thought were pretty hardcore seem like dirt alleys to me now!

After looking at your profile I see you have a Proton, so the Ironman in the shop would not be you!

Quote Originally Posted by homer
    Since no one has yet answered you questions I will. I would skip the Calmini kit. Just replace the rear springs (there a threads on this if you search this site) and crank the front up. You will need to have the alignment reset after.
    The drive train is very strong. the front axle is close to a dana 44 and the rear is almost as large as a dana 60. The weak point for some have been the half shafts although even with an ARB in the front I have yet to break one.
    For larger tires you will have to trim some of the cladding.
    Todd

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    I'm saving pennies for some beefier tie rods. That might be worth mentioning here.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeach
    I'm saving pennies for some beefier tie rods. That might be worth mentioning here.
    What do they give you besides a harsher ride?